Huge Upgrade! Need advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paligues

Hey guys. I have been reefing for about a year now and have been running a 30 gallon tank with a 15 gallon sump for the duration. I did my research and had an idea where to go then. Fast forward to now, I am running out of room for my corals, and the fish are starting to get bigger. So I went out and did the responsible thing! I bought a 180 gallon. Now, because of the sheer size of the tank, I (again doing the responsible thing) have to get a bigger apartment to accomidate it. With all that aside, I find myself finally questioning the logistics of the move. Not from apartment to apartment, but from tank to tank. I am slowly acumulating the proper equipment. I am currently in the building stages of my new stand. all of that is in order. However, the real question is how do I move everything from one tank to the next without causing a cycle. Is it possible with this large of an upgrade? Or should I just treat it as a whole new tank and start from scratch. Your opinions and advice is more than welcome and any tricks or pointers will help!

F

fishit

well i just switched from a established 55 gal to a 110 gal not as big of a jump as you but same idea!!! it all depends man on what you are yousing. what i did is got everything with my new tank ready filled the tank half way with water got more live rock [astablished] put in the 110 plus more new sand about half of what i needed let that sit with a heater and power head for a week then just transfers everything inc sand from the 55gal and it was good to go barley got a cycle. butt seeing ass your doing a bigger jump and also your moving in the process that's a different storey you move will probably stress everything out very bad most people lose allot of corals and fish in a complete tank move so just be vary carfull you might want to sell off allot of your live stock and start fresh just because the move then the tank swap will be allot of stress on all live stock and plus going from a 30gal to 180 is a big jump and you don't have enough established in the thirty to counter act the other 150 gal of new but good luck man i am sure Yul love the 180 gal but in an apartment you might want a dehumidifier lol o and worn the neighbours that live under you that they might get a shower of salt water if that floor gives way hahaha good luck Buddy hope this helps

M

marks69

your 30 will just seed a 180.  plus check with your insurance company and landlord.  most won't let that much water in a unit.  i used to clean up things for the insurance company and you would be talking tens ofthousands if you had a boo boo.

F

fishit

ya be carfull man my uncle is a insurance mediator and even in my own house I'm not covered so i really would not want to poor 180+ gals of water on who knows how many peoples stuff lol

P

Paligues

I appreciate the worry guys but I live in a basement :p. So basically, I should scrap my current tank and start over? Or is there something I can do to keep everything with little die off. Money isn't a factor in this equation. So what would be my best course of action??

Blob-79

Super Active Member
You can count on a bit of a cycle, just from moving, not to mention moving to a larger tank. Depending on what you have for corals and livestock will really determine how successfull this move will be.  When you move just make sure to keep everything warm. You may want keep you 30gallon for a bit, so you can just move, and put all your corals and livestock back in the 30, take some of the live rock, plus more live rock i assume and get your 180 cycling.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Maybe check with a LFS and see about renting a tank for a few weeks until you get everything plumbed and running. If you move your rock it shouldn't be long until things will be ready for your corals and fish. This would be a good way to minimize any risks related to an ammonia spike.

E

estwing2

too bad you live so far away as we have two empty but fully cycled tanks in the back of your store we would have been happy to help you out with storing your fish and corals etc till ready to put into their new home.  Good luck
Linda

F

fishit

that's a great idea  butt i would not do this because so much fish and coral goes through fish store aquariums there is a large possibility that they will catch a desies i would start over live stock wise not the live rock that should be fine in a rubber made container with a heater and power head but sell off your live stock and start over once cycled then at least you wont be out all that money on fish and corals if something happens its just allot of moving around and cycle times man

P

Paligues

I appreciate all the advice guys. I'm going to weigh out my options and see what happens. I have a couple monthes until I start the new build so we'll figure it all out by then. And not to worry, there will be pleanty of pictures. One quick question to finish with; does anyone have bristleworms and/or copepods (tiggerpods, oceanpods) they qould be willing to part with? Id be willing to buy them.......

Status
Not open for further replies.