I’m New Here, New To Salt

Seasquirt

Hi my name is Caroline and I am new here, looking for a new saltwater tank. I’m pretty sure that I don’t want to go to big. I inherited a skimmer from a friend but think it might be too big for the tank that I,m looking to get built. I will try and sell it here if I can. I had previously had chiclids but am out of that altogether. I just wanted to say hello and hope to be participating in some manner.

Josh

Hello and welcome! Take things nice and slow and you will do great! I would aim for at least 40g, Nanos seem tough on newer hobbyists due to keeping water parameters stable.

Seasquirt

Thanks Tim and Josh, I don’t want just any glass box. It has to be appealing to the eye as well. Such as a rimless or a bigger cube that has eurobracing. I’m not in a hurry at all. Seems like a nice board here, this is my first try at being a member of a any site. Thanks again guys

Seasquirt

Hi all, just wondering. I’ve heard some really good things about the Algae Turf Scrubber, I understand it’ll be able to control nitrates and phosphates. Imagine not having to set up a refugeum and not worrying about it working or cheats dieting. Just wondering if anyone is using one. I thought I would give it a try.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Welcome! Lots of good people here, good info as well. As stated, the very best thing you can do it so take things VERY slowly. Consistency and stability are most important when thinking about saltwater. The ocean is more or less a very stable biosphere, so its inhabitants aren't very tolerant of any kind of changes. If something seems to be going wrong, don't do a quick fix, as you will likely end up with a crash. Anyway, ask questions, and enjoy your stay!

Josh

My ATS keeps my tank at 0.00 (not actually zero) phosphates and 5-10 nitrate, i top the nitrate up with dosing otherwise it would be 0 as well. Ive been slowly lowering my light schedule on it recently and i run it reverse lschedule to my display lighting to help with PH swings. It takes a good 4-5 weeks to truly start working though. One thing you have to be careful with chaeto or ATS is that most tanks will not have the ratio of nitrate/phosphate to take them both down equally. I personally prefer a slight abundance of nitrate vs phosphate.