Id This Please

jroovers

Super Active Member
Doesn't look like red bugs at all to me, but who knows. You seem convinced that it is indeed this pest, as ReefHero indicated some better pictures may help. Would probably be a good idea to post up a thread in the Reef Central SPS forum, you'll likely get a lot more responses, feedback, and potential expertise there. How are your other corals looking health wise? Any base recession on others?

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
You should be able to see AEFW and their eggs on the coral without dipping it....Your pics are not clear enough to see the pest you are referring to.
Also, are you sure you don't have red bugs? Again, these are visible (though you must look carefully and closely).... I have found red bugs to be the easiest to spot when all flow is killed....
Maybe try to get some better pics of the pest or Atleast circle the pest you are talking about in the pics you have provided

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i don't think is red bug, i pick all of it out myself. it have a hard shell, the oval shaped of what it do to the coral. it like a drill hole

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
IMG_20140917_230347_hdr.jpg
IMG_20140917_230242_hdr.jpg

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Find this to on the rock of the coral, it a star fish. I see star fish in gray colour before but not this colour. The above guy is not the same guy I pick of the coral.

Last edited:

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Doesn't look like red bugs at all to me, but who knows. You seem convinced that it is indeed this pest, as ReefHero indicated some better pictures may help. Would probably be a good idea to post up a thread in the Reef Central SPS forum, you'll likely get a lot more responses, feedback, and potential expertise there. How are your other corals looking health wise? Any base recession on others?
i have few other with base recession, but very slowly. i think it do to water and light change, the tip start to show good colour that you will see in my tank thread soon.
i don't have good camera, this is the best i can do Mr. Hero :(

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Try to get a nice picture of what you are picking off the coral instead of a nice pic of something you found next to the coral....
So are you thinking now it is water or light related? Not bugs? What makes you come to that conclusion?

curiousphil

Super Active Member

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Try to get a nice picture of what you are picking off the coral instead of a nice pic of something you found next to the coral....
So are you thinking now it is water or light related? Not bugs? What makes you come to that conclusion?

sorry i didn't make this clear, the recession only happen to a couple piece that i got from Jordon. i think his running t5 mostly and two strip of blue led. for the very long this coral has grown and mature in his tank and adapt to the water and light. now it under my sunbrite led full spectrum, they are getting better those.
i def. have some kind of pest, pick it out my self. i try to find this pest to take a picture of it, but can't find one. it hard to take a pic. of it because it blend with the coral so well. when i pick it off the coral it just broke and look like shell of an oyster, fine small piece. how many of us heard of acro pest that feed on coral skeleton to develop there shell. you know what if this is something new, maybe someone can write an article of it and bring more member to the forum. i think :p:rolleyes:, but it have to be a new discovery lol

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Yeah I have never read about a creature that eats skeleton lol. Who have you been buying coral from besides Jordan? I want to avoid them haha.
where i get this creature is a mystery like the creature itself. i don't think it from Jordan those, no fish, no coral, poor guy so you leave him alone lol:D. just kidding.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
I saw one there a long time ago, 4 month I think thought it a feather duster. Harmful, I say yes, but it no big deal. I read you can poke it with a needle, put a little super glue on it or pick it out with a tweezer like I did. The thing is I don't know how they breed. Maybe someone can explain it better. Some people have it and just leave because they think it look neat do to the thing coming in and out of it.