Identification please

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDGraves

I purchased my first marine item yesterday, a nice finger leather. Out of the attached live rock came about 5 of these little guys, they are about 1.5 cm in length
-what are they?
-are they reef safe?
-if a good item, what do they eat?
-if not how to get rid of them?

f533eb90.jpg

xxmurrxx

bristle worms
I read they are good unless you get some all red ones.
Got a couple in my tank, don't seem to do much but eat leftover foods that fall.

They sell little traps to get these guys out of your tank, no clue if they work good or not though.

C

Cal_stir

i've have those for about 2 years, they are ok, i've never seen them do any harm to anything, part of the ecosystem, ditritivores, some corals eat them
the red ones are fireworms, they have a nasty sting, i wouldn't want those

Blob-79

Super Active Member
ya the small bristleworms are actually benneficial. Some of the larger species can actually be aggresive predators. I found out I had one back awhile ago when some of my lps got eaten, then one of my rbta's after every night began missing more and more tentacles.

JordanHurst

I find them all over they dont bother anything i have at all, help keep my sand clean and always eating left overs. If you want to keep control of them get an arrow crab. i had one and he munched those bristles all the time

shipwreck

They are harmless.  They only problem with bristle worms is if you happen to pick up a rock with bare hands and grab one of these guys, they will leave there bristles in your finger.  Just like having a tiny sliver just harder to work out.

They eat left over decaying food or dead/dying fish,corals etc.  They typically will self regulate based on food supply so no need to buy a trap or predator specifically to handle them.  Unless you start with dead rock, and never put anything in your tank you will have bristle worms.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I had them for a little, they didnt seem to do any harm. They creeped out the kids and wife more then anything. I wanted them gone. I just sucked them up during water changes. Took 3-4 water changes before I got em all though.

P

phi delt reefer

there are some scary ones online. Like 2-3 feet long and a centimeter thick. Looks like those DUNE monsters. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.