Images from Rondeau

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
A couple of weeks ago I took the family for a long weekend at Rondeau Provincial Park. We did a little fishing and hiking and I got an opportunity to get a few nice bird pictures...

Purple Martin

DSC04361_zpse5542ab0.jpg

Barn Swallow

DSC04367_zpse9a3c17b.jpg

I also saw a couple of Baltimore Orioles frequently and soon found their basket nest close to our campsite. It was amazing to have the opportunity to watch the brooding behavior of these normally shy birds.

The female entering their basket nest

DSC04323_zps883ff424.jpg

DSC04324_zps240946dd.jpg

DSC04329_zps7efd1687.jpg

The male keeping watch

DSC04278_zpsa255efef.jpg

DSC04343_zps1a9ef78a.jpg

The male fetching food

DSC04271_zps39fb56ed.jpg

DSC04272_zpseea23f6d.jpg

DSC04274_zps0cf4cba9.jpg

They were an entertaining and spectacular pair to watch all weekend.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Fantastic, love the photos of the oriole nest, that is awesome that you got to see that! How is the camping at Rondeau? There is only the one camp area if memory serves me correctly?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
jroovers said:
Fantastic, love the photos of the oriole nest, that is awesome that you got to see that! How is the camping at Rondeau? There is only the one camp area if memory serves me correctly?

The campsite area is frankly well below the standard of the parks up north that we are used to. Sites are smaller and less private. The focus of the park was apparently to leave as much area as possible unspoiled as a preserve for migratory birds and a few threatened species like five lined skinks and prothonotary warblers at the expense of campsite space.

...but we are not really people who hang out in our site much as we spend most of our time out swimming, hiking and paddling, so the campsite is mostly just a spot to eat and sleep.

The trails and beaches are beautiful and the birds did not disappoint. We saw one prothonotary warbler and there were bald eagles and osprey overhead when we were fishing too.

jroovers

Super Active Member
AdInfinitum said:
jroovers said:

The campsite area is frankly well below the standard of the parks up north that we are used to. Sites are smaller and less private. The focus of the park was apparently to leave as much area as possible unspoiled as a preserve for migratory birds and a few threatened species like five lined skinks and prothonotary warblers at the expense of campsite space.

...but we are not really people who hang out in our site much as we spend most of our time out swimming, hiking and paddling, so the campsite is mostly just a spot to eat and sleep.

The trails and beaches are beautiful and the birds did not disappoint. We saw one prothonotary warbler and there were bald eagles and osprey overhead when we were fishing too.

I've only driven through the park, never stayed there, but noticed the campsite area looked below average in terms of where it was situated, tree coverage etc... however, as you pointed out, that doesn't matter much if it is simply a spot to pitch a tent and enjoy what the rest of the park has to offer. Never been there to see the birds specifically, but heard it is certainly a hotspot for migratory species along with Pelee.