Jeffo's 115ish

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Figured I'd start a build thread since I'm starting what will hopefully be a long term display tank. Mixed reef? Fowlr? I have no idea yet! About all i know for certain is I'll be using two canisters for filtration. No sump. At this point I'm half way done building my stand and canopy. Expect many questions!
f1eda178cd919ac1b31b40916257f102.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
First question...
The tank is acrylic, and from the looks of it the previous owner used a glass version magfloat. Very light scratches everywhere. They're not deep enough to feel, and not crazy visible when filled with water. Is there a way to hand polish/buff the inside? I'm not going to buy any power tools or spend tonnes of cash.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
First question...
The tank is acrylic, and from the looks of it the previous owner used a glass version magfloat. Very light scratches everywhere. They're not deep enough to feel, and not crazy visible when filled with water. Is there a way to hand polish/buff the inside? I'm not going to buy any power tools or spend tonnes of cash.

Novus 2 and a bunch of elbow grease will get it done...

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Just reading description of Novus 2, and this has me wondering if it is ok to use on the inside of the tank...
"After restoring, seals with a coat of polish"

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Just reading description of Novus 2, and this has me wondering if it is ok to use on the inside of the tank...
"After restoring, seals with a coat of polish"

No worries...it is the industry standard for acrylic for tank use just make sure you give the tank a good rinse and wipe to ensure that the compound is all gone. The recommended route is to clean it with Novus 1 afterward to leave the surface perfectly clean and residue free. I always do but never really viewed that as necessary...but maybe it is...

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I think I'll do the extra novus 1 step as well, seeing how the next time the tank will be dry is when I move or give up the hobby!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Another question...

I've believe i have found the source of my crazy high phosphates. Yes, brantford's tap water. However, I've been adding ATM Agent Green to top off water in my daughter's tank and it's working wonders. What I want to do is have a tote filled with mixed water/prime/agent green for topping off both tanks. Simple tote with a powerhead and pump. I know brute garbage cans are suitable, but at $70 for a 44g, that's not exactly "super cheap and easy". Realistically, can any tote/garbage can be used?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
When I get bulk chemicals they come in different plastic barrels if they are food grade, pharmaceutical grade or other. The better plastics are certified to be made without impurities that could affect the contents in storage. The regular plastics...no guarantees.

Used scratched tanks are always around for well under a buck a gallon and are totally safe so I agree on the price thing for brutes being not the most cost effective. My current build is the first time that I have used anything other than old tanks...and only because of a sweet TFT deal on a 100gal poly tank with valves and extras. :)

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
BTW make sure you read the threads on lanthanum chloride use and filtration. If you are using it in your makeup tank...all the more reason to use glass, as the precipitate is very sticky and it will be much easier to keep glass surfaces free of buildup.

heath

Distinguished Member
Another question...

I've believe i have found the source of my crazy high phosphates. Yes, brantford's tap water. However, I've been adding ATM Agent Green to top off water in my daughter's tank and it's working wonders. What I want to do is have a tote filled with mixed water/prime/agent green for topping off both tanks. Simple tote with a powerhead and pump. I know brute garbage cans are suitable, but at $70 for a 44g, that's not exactly "super cheap and easy". Realistically, can any tote/garbage can be used?

Jeff, I totally agree with you on the brute cans.. I got used salt container, from old water softeners.. they are free and don't take up that much space..I run a mj 400 when I mix up a batch of salt and when its time to do the water change I just change the head/screen on the mj and pump it out.. 1/2" black hose fits perfect..the foot print of these is less than 2'..hope this helps or gives you an idea...

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Got some time and money coming up in a few weeks, so starting to shift into gather mode. Does anyone know if EcoLiveRock still exists?

www.ecoliverock.org

I like their concept, as well as their prices. I emailed them last week and never heard back, so a little hesitant to place an order.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I'm assuming EcoLiveRock no longer exists, so guess I'll be going with dry key largo marco rock.

How early can pods be added to a tank? I'm planning on getting a mandarin and cbb at some-point, and want my tank to be well stocked when I do. Are they tough enough to survive during cycling?