Jeffo's 115ish

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Fixed my canopy. Clamped it shut overnight, and now it magically closes properly
26506893e56ec25ff86cba7def64fc3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I figured something major would have to go wrong eventually, and it finally did. One of my lights (my original dsuny panel) suddenly lost 2 of the 4 channels. Had worked flawlessly since I bought it Dec. last year. Opened it up to see what I could see, and discovered this...
2f1b60f89c1293fe0c9bce31ad915ff3.jpg

I'm guessing moisture found its way in somewhere. Emailed dsuny and so far they have been very responsive, just as they were when ordering. We'll see how they fare after they've got my money.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Dsuny got back to me. Their explanation and solution seem reasonable to me (english is a little rough, but they get their point across) :

" Dear, our professional engineer have check the panel and learn that some led light of your original panel is wet and damaged.

In order to solve this problems for you sooner, there are two suggestion for your reference:

1. we can sent the channels 3 and channels 4 led light and the circuit board to you for fix, the price is US 60, China Post.

2. dear, you also can buy one new panel, I will try my best to apply the best price for you to our manager, the price is US $ 139.99, and will sent it with the power supply to you.

Dear, for your current panel, our engineer highly suggest 2 ways.

May i know which suggestion do you prefer ? or is there anything i can do for you ?

Looking forward to your reply

Cherry"

I can't bring myself to buy a new fixture. Spent too much lately. I am considering buying a new board, but not entirely sure what is involved installation wise. I'm assuming it is just the board with the damage. Can someone tell me how it connects to the other board? I can't tell if those are pins that "plug together", or if there is soldering involved.
eaa457a8f197f2f507d3ccfba1ad54a5.jpg

I've managed to disable channels 1 and 4 on the second fixture, and visually they still look great. No idea how much par I've lost or if it will even matter since i won't likely be keeping anything requiring massive amounts of light. Decisions decisions!

Gophia

Thanks for the alert shamous113.

Wow that's a lot a trace corrosion under that LED and it seem the corrosion/salt creep is shorting some of those traces. That's probably preventing the flow of electricity. The LED still looks good but you can test it by placing a AA or AAA battery to the LED terminals to see if its still good (using a batter holder). Then you can clean the traces with either RODI or a fine sand paper (fine grit and do it very gently) or chemically like using a q-tip and CLR and once clean then overlay it with a trace compound or simply nail polish to prevent anymore corrosion.

Hope that helps

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Thanks for the alert shamous113.

Wow that's a lot a trace corrosion under that LED and it seem the corrosion/salt creep is shorting some of those traces. That's probably preventing the flow of electricity. The LED still looks good but you can test it by placing a AA or AAA battery to the LED terminals to see if its still good (using a batter holder). Then you can clean the traces with either RODI or a fine sand paper (fine grit and do it very gently) or chemically like using a q-tip and CLR and once clean then overlay it with a trace compound or simply nail polish to prevent anymore corrosion.

Hope that helps

I wish i had those tips BEFORE i put it back together! There's literally about 20 screws that have to come out to get to the guts. Thanks for the info. I will definitely give it a try. If it's too far gone, any idea how the boards are connected to each other?

Gophia

Sorry no idea about this LED model. Looking at the pics, it looks like you may have desolder the pads from each other if you want to do a swap?!? I hope thats not the case. In any case, I'm willing to bet if you just wipe that area with a moist paper towel a few times to get rid of all that salt, then thoroughly dry it, it will work ;)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Sorry no idea about this LED model. Looking at the pics, it looks like you may have desolder the pads from each other if you want to do a swap?!? I hope thats not the case. In any case, I'm willing to bet if you just wipe that area with a moist paper towel a few times to get rid of all that salt, then thoroughly dry it, it will work ;)

Got my hopes up! I took a real close look at the led, and the lead has been completely corroded (i lifted it a little further up to try and get pic). I think you may be right about desoldering to replace board. Soooo.... I guess I'll just live with the missing channels for the time being.
332d154d66f254b1565aaae8e9a8cc76.jpg

heath

Distinguished Member
gotta love salt creep.. you would think that the manufacture could make it a solid unit...or a way for the salt creep not to get in...

Gophia

To me that corroded LED leg is good news! You probably figured out why a couple of the channels are not working, their in series with that LED. If you can desolder the connecting points between the LED board you can either resolder that legs back (big blob of solder should do the trick) or replace that 3w LED (best option). If it's simply one LED why replace the entire board?

If you don't have any spear 3W LEDS, I have plenty left over from modding/repairing with my Maxspect G2 160W (10k, 420nm, and Royal Blues). Send me you address via pm and I can send you a couple to repair your board.

btw, nice job cleaning those traces. I see copper but I also still see green ;)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
To me that corroded LED leg is good news! You probably figured out why a couple of the channels are not working, their in series with that LED. If you can desolder the connecting points between the LED board you can either resolder that legs back (big blob of solder should do the trick) or replace that 3w LED (best option). If it's simply one LED why replace the entire board?

If you don't have any spear 3W LEDS, I have plenty left over from modding/repairing with my Maxspect G2 160W (10k, 420nm, and Royal Blues). Send me you address via pm and I can send you a couple to repair your board.

btw, nice job cleaning those traces. I see copper but I also still see green ;)

As you can probably tell, my brain doesn't do so well when it comes to electronics. In my world, if something fails due to an electrical issue, either buy another one or live without it. I have 3 dead home theatre receivers sitting in a box as a result (free for the taking if anyone wants them)! You make this sound like an easy fix, so I'll give it a whirl. Thank you very much for the led offer and help! Pm sent.

Btw, i gave up cleaning once i saw the disconnected led

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Pretty sure these are diatoms, but unsure what that means when cycling. I've read they indicate cycling is complete. Clearly that is not the case as my ammonia has been stuck at 4ppm for the last 5 days. What does it mean, and what, if anything, should I do?
6e4111afd57fdad683f54933b4450e32.jpg

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
A Diatoms bloom means nothing more than that there are free silicates in the water for them to utilize to build their skeletons. As long as your source water isn't supplying more silicates and you don't add new rock or sand then they will soon exhaust the supply and die back to normal undetectable levels. It is an inevitable part of new setups but is not directly linked to the nitrogen bacteria cycle.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Back to the light... got some replacement leds from @Gophia yesterday (thanks again!). Tried two of them... no dice. I give up! I'm going to use it with just the two channels for now. I'm still very impressed with the look as is. Down the road if it's not strong enough, i'll buy a new fixture and sell the "broken" one cheap-cheap. Maybe someone with more patience and knowledge can bring it back to full life. Since Gophia was kind enough to send the leds to me, i will pass them on if someone else needs them. 2x 10000k and 2x royal blue.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Was pretty excited that my crossflow was delivered today. Until i opened it and saw this
eda9f0266cf91fe169478dab0e315a70.jpg

Ebay seller said they would send correct plug according to shipping location. Guess they're not too familiar with north america! Can i just substitute with a computer power cord?