Josh's Bc29

Josh

Many years of fresh water experience was starting to bore me. I found a used BC29 on kijiji and thought this would be a nice step into the salt water world as i was pretty intimidated by everything.

First thing i did was tear it down and clean it. I tore out all the stock lighting and replaced it with a stevesled retrofit LED kit. I found the stock bulbs were overheating my tank. I replaced the stock pump with a maxijet 1200, added 2 nano powerheads, 1 koralia, and 1 tunze with directional control. I started by cutting some of the necessary tabs out of the back for flow as well as for making room for a protein skimmer. I used a tunze9002 but found it was super difficult to clean out and needed cleaning almost daily. I removed the skimmer and decided to keep an eye on my water parameters to see if i needed it. I use an inTANK filter rack with filter foss and chemipure. I have a closed loop refugium i built using a reactor a pump and some LED grow tape lights. I piped the reactor into the return of slot 1 and cut a slot in the back false wall and piped down a splitter Y and put flow down the back of the tank. I stocked the refugium with chaeto and added tigger pods as well as ordered some copepods from dave at copepods.ca. The refugium seems to keep my nitrates super low.

Stock : 2 black clowns : 1 royal gramma : 1 bangai cardinal : 1 mandarin goby
Snails : mix of astrea / nerite / spiny star / nassarius
2 emerald crabs
1 peppermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 tuxedo urchin

I feed frozen mysis as well as frozen cyclops. Mix in the odd feeding of dry pellets.

Recently ive added a few pieces of coral.
Mixed zoa's
hammer coral
green tyree leather

Josh

f9WMCs7.jpg
FovWxCw.jpg
Dy1mkOC.jpg
d9ftY3T.jpg
DHmYwjp.jpg

Josh

Kind of expecting to get hit with a "oh my god a mandarin in a BC29" so im going to pre-emptive strike on this one. I have given this dragonet every chance in life to be a winner! I made sure he ate frozen food before i bought him, checked for sunken belly, feed him frozen cyclops (micro frozen food) as well as build him a refugium and stocked him with pods. If this guy cant make it with that then i dont know what will.

Josh

all about how you approach obstacles :) I definately did my research and im sure you did as well !

shiftline

Website Affiliate
How's the little chaeto reactor working out? I have been debating making one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh

I've been pretty happy with it. It's not going to solve any major nitrate issues. I've stopped using my skimmer and it seems to be taking the bio load OK. That being said I'm in the process of setting up a sump. For the cost of setting that reactor up it was definitely a wOrth while purchase. I stocked it with Tiger pods from reef nutrition and cope pods from copepods.Ca. heavyish bioload and my nitrates are under 1ppm. Pods were for stocking for my mandarin, however I've got him trained to eat frozen mysis :)

Last edited:

Josh

So i finally bit the bullet and ordered some GFO. My phosphates have been slowly creeping up. I have the bacto balls in my back chamber filter system but im thinking they arent getting good enough flow. I am going to add GFO to the bacto balls (seperate bag) and try modding my baffles a tiny bit so it flows into the bags better. Also swapping out my chemi pure elite for chemi pure blue which apparently is elite + purigen. I am hoping between the GFO and the bacto balls as well as my tiny little refugium that i can finally get my phosphates down. Nitrates were barely readable btw. phosphates ~.36 ppm. Also ordered a hanna alk checker. The Alk kit i have is brutal, you have to count drops and i just wanted something a bit easier to use.

shiftline

Website Affiliate
I'm still thinking of making one of theses soon :). Still happy with it?

Josh

Yup just make sure you design it correctly. Put your pump on the return side of the cannister so you aren't pressuring it. Take the supply from somewhere where it won't mess with overflows and such. I also heavily suggest waterproof leds. The cord connector on my leds died so I cut it out and spliced the wires. Pretty common issue with them. It was like a headphone jack so you could disconnect the leds from the power supply cord. I found a few complaining about them dieing and I'm pretty sure this was the issue for everyone.

Pm me if you want some pics or further info

shiftline

Website Affiliate
Dude to a lack of space I was thinking of mounting an old vertex reactor sideways and using it. I think it should work. I was thinking of piping in water through the lid and letting it push water out the centre tube (with the valve) so I can ensure it stays full of water. How come you recommend to not pressurize it?

Josh

No reason other than the fact I'm a hvac chiller mechanic and in my mind it reduces stress on the seal, however I want to know if it's going to leak that it'll hopefully suck in air and airlock the pump in the event of an issue. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. Mine is piped into the top with return water leaving the tube so it remains primed on the off chance it does get some air in there.

Josh

I am proud to announce that almost every single 1 of my new zoa frags have sprouted new polyps. Exciting watching utter chaos. Hornets. Lava palys all sprouting more!

Josh

So ive started to buy / plan my 120g for the new house. I picked up a 6 bulb aquatic life 48" fixture from @Alexanneka. I also found a 48" reefbrite tech actinic LED strip. I plan to mount 1 reefbrite on either side of the fixture.

Anybody have any experience with reefbrite in the tech vs xho. I am not sure what bulb pattern to run on the fixture as well as what to get as my second set of reefbrite. Should i go for natural white, or get the 50/50 one? Spend the extra and throw an xho on the front and put the cheaper tech version on the back?

What bulb pattern do people typically run on your fixtures?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
IMO go all Blue with your LED's and the brighter the better...that what the LED's are there for and best at. The T5's will cover the rest of the spectrum better, plus as the T5's degrade the spectrum shift in the bulbs is always towards loosing the high energy/short wavelength portion of the spectrum (the high intensity blues).