Josh's Biocube 29g Reboot

Josh

Been pretty quiet on my end on my progress with everything going on in my new house! I have been doing MAJOR renovations and its been going slow and steady.

I decided despite adding the 150g system to my collection that both Becca and I would miss the blue glow in our bedroom. I decided i wanted to try and make this system a bit less maintenance heavy.

I added a sump!! I drilled the back of the biocube29 with an eshopps eclipse nano size small overflow. I found this overflow to be rather slick for a "box premade" overflow. Came with the drill bit all the templates you need. It was my first time drilling glass so i was not sure what to expect, but it seemed to go well for me. This time around we decided to go dryrock and take a good chunk of the rock out of the system, before it looked cluttered. In hindsight i should have downsized the piping coming out of the overflow. The overflow was also originally setup with just 1 standpipe and 1 open drain. I did not like how it was running that way, it was really loud unless i tuned it to trickle down the standpipe. I decided to make some adjustments which are shown below. With the standpipe style i had to have my gate valve almost fully closed which scared me because of how easily it could clog. Standpipe is a fully open backup but who wants to put themself in a position where they might run into issues, definitely not this guy!

Inside the tank has 2 Hydor nano powerheads on a Hydor powerhead controller. Not totally sold on the controller however having a bit of random flow is appealing to me.

Despite having to cut out some of the baffles in the back i left the original return pump in the back just to keep a bit of flow in the back chamber. This tank will have LOTS of flow, 2 return pumps and 2 powerheads.

aiDMTKj.jpg

Got the sump a while back from @reefdiver, if you are in the market for a sump i suggest looking into bashea im fairly happy with mine.

jlKy1Dx.jpg

I added about 2 pounds of dry rock rubble, i intend to add more to this in time. Also likely going to pipe the return from the GFO reactor into that chamber so it keeps the rocks stirred up and hopefully detritus trap free. Inside the sump i have 1 Eheim compact return pump, 1 thing to note about this sump is the return chamber is kind of small and i was limited on my return pump, luckily for me the Eheim compact does about 150-250 gpm which seems just about perfect. Thanks to @TORX for the skimmer.

gNdv3tA.jpg

I decided for what its worth and will cost me to do that adding a GFO/GAC reactor on the side of the tank. I also picked up a hydor ATO back during a boxing day sale. I have it hooked up to an tom's aqualifter mounted on the side. As of right now i have not installed the RO container.

XM4uY8v.jpg

Lights are still the same as before, im running stevesled biocube led retrofit kit. They are pretty powerful lights when you run them at full so i have mine dialed way back. Im using a heater controller with the heater in the back slot between the overflow/return and the tank.

Hope you guys like the changes ive made to my biocube, i realize i kind of went nutts on this but i really wanted a very specific setup. I still want to clean up some of the piping/wiring however with the tank cycling now i have some time.

Anybody have an experience with running skimmers off timers? With this being in our bedroom i have been toying with the idea of timing the skimmer off while we are sleeping.

Stocking:
With us having the 150g sitting on the ground waiting for some final renos to finish i want to make this tank something different than the main DT downstairs. I am thinking this tank might be perfect for a shrimp/goby pair. Also likely going to throw in a pair of clowns and probably call it a day. Not sure which corals i want to add to this tank eventually, leaning towards taking 5-6 of my different zoa types and putting them on the lower part of the rock. Lots of time to decide what i want to do here tho.

Josh

It has a soft spot in our heart, it was our starter tank. I originally had told her i was going to venture into saltwater when i had more time aka retired (good 25-30 years from that) but she talked me into doing it now. Lucky to have such a supportive partner.

Josh

so this bad boy should be fully cycled. Going to put my seneye in and test with some bottled ammonia just to be sure. Also plan to check the PAR on my stevesled retrofit biocube kit. They claim to be able to keep any sps so i am interested in how much par they put out.

Dr. Zoos

I envy the addition of a sump and overflow. I’ve tried the KISS rule with my cube but I really would love a sump.

I have heard of many people shutting skimmers off and on. Lots do it for feeding. I’m sure you wouldn’t have any problem leaving it off while you slept

Josh

So this tank has been in limbo for a little bit, i was well along the cycle process when some metal fell into the sump so i decided to drain it rather than deal with potential toxins on a brand new fill. This has given me some thought as to whether i really want my biocube in my bedroom where i have to lug water up and down from the basement.

It seems that i am not the only one in the house who thinks that a tank in our bedroom may cause issues long term. Thinking about putting it downstairs beside my desk so i get to enjoy the tank more as its my first saltwater tank and has some special importance to me.

Now onto the real question. What do i put in this tank once i do the rebuild. I have come up with a plan!! However i could use some feedback from you good folks.

I am going to make this tank a pistol/goby paired tank. They will get their own tank just to themselves (maybe some coral as well). Has anyone ever kept pairs before? I have done all the main research and intend to take advantage of 1 of @reefdiver wholesale runs. Pairs are often sold together pre paired. This limits your options. After doing some research ive narrowed it down to the following combos.

1) pinkbar aurora / Candy cane pistol shrimp
2) yellow watchman / tiger pistol or candy cane
3) yasha / candy cane
4) candy cane goby / candy cane pistol
5) randall prawn goby / candy cane
6) wheelers goby / candy cane
7) tiger watchman / tiger pistol

I think im leaning towards candy cane over pistol mostly because they are a bit smaller but also the stripe pattern appeals a bit more to me. By a large margin it seems that yellow watchman / tiger seems to be the most common pairing out there.

Anybody on this forum have any experience with this that i can pick their brain about? I have to restart my whole cycle process and plan to have a fully copepod stocked tank before introducing the pair so time will move somewhat slow on this project.

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
Website
www.sustainablemarinecanada.ca
So this tank has been in limbo for a little bit, i was well along the cycle process when some metal fell into the sump so i decided to drain it rather than deal with potential toxins on a brand new fill. This has given me some thought as to whether i really want my biocube in my bedroom where i have to lug water up and down from the basement.

It seems that i am not the only one in the house who thinks that a tank in our bedroom may cause issues long term. Thinking about putting it downstairs beside my desk so i get to enjoy the tank more as its my first saltwater tank and has some special importance to me.

Now onto the real question. What do i put in this tank once i do the rebuild. I have come up with a plan!! However i could use some feedback from you good folks.

I am going to make this tank a pistol/goby paired tank. They will get their own tank just to themselves (maybe some coral as well). Has anyone ever kept pairs before? I have done all the main research and intend to take advantage of 1 of @reefdiver wholesale runs. Pairs are often sold together pre paired. This limits your options. After doing some research ive narrowed it down to the following combos.

1) pinkbar aurora / Candy cane pistol shrimp
2) yellow watchman / tiger pistol or candy cane
3) yasha / candy cane
4) candy cane goby / candy cane pistol
5) randall prawn goby / candy cane
6) wheelers goby / candy cane
7) tiger watchman / tiger pistol

I think im leaning towards candy cane over pistol mostly because they are a bit smaller but also the stripe pattern appeals a bit more to me. By a large margin it seems that yellow watchman / tiger seems to be the most common pairing out there.

Anybody on this forum have any experience with this that i can pick their brain about? I have to restart my whole cycle process and plan to have a fully copepod stocked tank before introducing the pair so time will move somewhat slow on this project.

Hi Josh
We can pretty much pick what you like. I pair them myself in the shop and I find it’s not difficult at all. It’s in their nature to pair up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh

looks good Ian, im going to try and stop by after work tomorrow for the cables / copepods. If all goes well ill get the biocube moved downstairs this weekend.

Josh

20200320_203040.jpg
July-Aug 2018 is approximately when i went to Ian's to grab a pistol/goby pair. I was pretty bummed out when the shrimp didnt make it. Fast forward to today, goby doing great, feeding him as usual and his new tank mate a lawnmower blenny, when all of a sudden out comes a pistol shrimp larger than the goby. So for over a year and a half this pistol shrimp has lived in my biocube without showing itself to anybody once..... I was able to snap a quick photo, but holy shit was i surprised to see him. This tank is beside my desk and i havent once heard a pop, I thought he died a LONG time ago, thank god i never tried to pair a new shrimp. He was so small when i got him i figured he didnt make it.

In a time when only shitty things seem to be happening its pretty sweet to get a nice little surprise like this.

Hong

Those pistol shrimp are resilient. The only issue I have is they stir up the sand they can bury corals/frags in the sand. Not sure what they eat though...maybe worms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh

Going to assume mysis or copepods. Thats the only food ive fed the tank and it was an ammonia cycle dryrock setup so shouldnt have any worms in there.

I murdered all those aiptasia in the photos above. I was in limbo about what i was going to do with the tank but the emergence of my little buddy made the decision for me. Hopefully not too many sprout back up. Only time will tell now.

Josh

20200402_101422.jpg

It was so mindboggling to me when he finally showed up that 1 day. Now I see him daily and there are tracks all over the sand from him now. Not 1 sign of any of that for a year and a half. Glad to see they are both becoming very social.