just got a soho tang

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crazybizzle

Just picked up a beauty soho tang 2 days ago  for 100 bucks any one have one and any advice or tips seems to be doing awesome only thing is my vlamingi who is the boss in my tank  even scares the shit outta my trigger and is now bossing the soho . Think this will pass? Dont wanna lose this guy now that he is by far my favorite fish of all time jus checking for some insight..also picked up a 7 inch neon orange and blue pipefish  frikin wicked .so now my fish list is : soho tang, yellow tang, hippo tang, vlamingi tang, foxface,bluethroat trigger,6 chromis,pipefish, red mandarin,yellowhead goby, 2 clowns,filefish,purp firefish,bicolour angel

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
A couple of older pics of my Sohal attacking the Mag-Float...

P1040115c_zps408a974b.jpg

P1040119d_zpsef52f05a.jpg

He's about 7 or 8 years old now and maybe not a typical example... 

Tough as nails, once ate/bit most of the surface off a toxic devil's hand leather then laid on the bottom of the tank for two days with his stomach all bloated...He survived...the coral didn't...

Bit all the tentacles off a giant green elephant ear just for kicks...things that were in the tank with him for ages...I don't know if he got stung and turned on them???

Will kill anything that won't back down from him.  When he goes Freddy Krueger and the blades come out you won't have time to stop it. But is fine with passive smaller fish. Loves his Blue Cleaner Wrasse who follows him around and preens him all day.  Getting the wrasse seems to have cured his destructive boredom.

Smart...If I stand near the tank and don't feed him he will back up to the surface and splash water at me to get attention.

As long as your Vlamingi stays a lot bigger than the Sohal and doesn't kill it now so that they acclimate together over time you should be OK but in a few years adding new tank mates will be touchy.  Between the two big open-water tangs you're going to be needing a few hundred gallons to keep them happy...my Sohal is realistically cramped in my 200gal which hasn't helped his temper.  I really need to get working on the 7 1/2 foot tank in the garage.... ;)

C

crazybizzle

Sweet thanks AD. Ive got pretty good swimming room in my 150 for them all  i think my largest fish is my foxface st around 5 or 6 inches and all the rest of tangs are around 3 to 5 inches and rest are all smaller ..sohol is same size as my vlamingi so ill just have to wait and see but as of last night they seemed pretty good together soho pretty much keeps to himself but he does pick at tons of stuff all over which is interesting to watch for him being a tang hopfully doesnt start eating corals like urs did even thou i did cstch him smashing into my huge finger leather  lol

spyd

Super Active Member
If they start getting real aggressive, you can try moving some rock around a little. If that is not an option, then put up a mirror in front of your tank facing into the tank, for a few days. It trips the fish right out and prevents aggression.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Darryl brought up the mirror thing when we were talking.  I am going to give it a try but honestly I have been worried about adding anything to the tank.  I feel like I am throwing in a sacrifice... What he did to a large majestic angel looked like a scene out of God of War 3.

Alternatively I could invite some diehard gamblers over and it could be a Michael Vick kind of thing.

C

crazybizzle

Lol love it ! But yeah its sll good now will have to rember about the mirror trick tjou

Status
Not open for further replies.