Kessil a350w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Wow! Finally got my lights in. The colours that popped out of fish and coral is insane. Not quite as bright as my halides but everything looks happy. I have the LEDs at 50% for now and will ramp up slowly. Very impressed and will post reviews as time goes on.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Honestly the pic does no justice. I hate blue bc it only shows this colour. The actual colour is prob closer to 15-20k but PURPLE. the oranges and reds come alive. Blues are insane an green is intense. Must see in person

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Cool.....those are the tunablues?  90watt right?  I see you got three....I bet the coverage is good.  The only down side to those are they are only manually dimable...so no actinic only period or ramp up / down.  You could always DIY some more LED stripes or T5HO for the actinic period though.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
I have a 36 rb 60" DIY led strip as well as these kessils. I use them for actinic ramp up/down. I run them in conjunction with the kessil throughout the day. The intensity of colours looks fake. I run them at 50% white channel and 25% blue.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Krazykarl link said:
I have a 36 rb 60\" DIY led strip as well as these kessils. I use them for actinic ramp up/down. I run them in conjunction with the kessil throughout the day. The intensity of colours looks fake. I run them at 50% white channel and 25% blue.
Nice.....you might start to like the blue more and more.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Where did you get them, and price?  I'm pretty impressed, mostly because of the compact size.  Are any parts replaceable if they fail? 

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
You can open up the entire case on these things it seems. I imagine the manufacturer has replacement parts. The LEDs Are a multi chip it looks like so one shot replacement. Didn't really look too far into replacement yet lol. 399$ e. got em at goreef free shipping plus 5% discount.  My temp actually stayed stable all day at 76.5 degrees. Usually climbs to 80-81 with halides. Hoping to see a reduction in algae on the glass. These units have multi colours In the chip plus uv. This is what drew me to them over ai sols. Radeons were just too expensive. Overall these got better reviews than any led on the market. Def would suggest 1 for every 20" of coverage or so. I have the wide angle lenses and they are 12" off water. Wish I had a way to measure par. And tuning the colour was a plus. Downside is they aren't controllable via a controller. I don't have one so it didn't matter to me. Set it and forget it kinda guy. Just hoping to see growth and colour changes over time. And no more buying bulbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
The shimmer looks fake. Actually hurt my eyes at first. But it grows on you. I don't have a ton of surface aggitation. I imagine the more the better the shimmer. But it out shines halides.

B

Bill@IA

I like the research and theory behind the multi chip LED and I also like Kessils' approach to keeping this technology in an acceptable price range for the consumer. Perhaps the missing range of controllability will deter some but I see a market for Kessil with customers looking for performance without buzz.
    Customers with open concept homes overflowing with tons of ambient light wont miss the sun up feature but will appreciate the way their aquarium is lit as the room light diminishes at sundown. Add to that these fixtures don't need to be attached to rails or brackets that will detract from the room decor. This minimalistic approach will be appealing to some.
    I look forward to seeing how your coral respond to these.

:)

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Thanks bill. Well said. They are attractive and for this with their tank in a living room as a decor (mine is in my wall in the basement family room) kessil offers a gooseneck for these lights. Very stylish and they clip onto the brace of the tank and can be adjusted to suit your liking. First impressions, I'm completely satisfied. Needless to say I had a very sleepless night as my brain would simply not shut off and quit thinking about my tank. Time will tell about growth and colours and I will def keep everyone posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.