Kman 225 Tank Build.

Kman

Super Active Member
So I have moved and in the process decided to get a bigger tank. My 180 has been running for 20 years or so and this was a good time to get a new setup. As I have to take apart everything and move it anyway. Plus setting up the new tank and doing a quick cycle doesn't hurt when it comes time to transfer all the corals over.

So far I have gotten the floor done as it was originally carpet, carpet and saltwater don't mix to well. :) Got the tank moved and set into place and the plumbing done. I ended up going red and white.

225.png

Resized_20171015_130410_9946.jpg

Resized_20171015_130435_928.jpg

Resized_20171015_130451_1364.jpg

Kman

Super Active Member
Thanks. I can't wait to do the aquascape. I am going to try a few things this build.

Kman

Super Active Member
I got this bad boy tank combo off Nighthawk and the red pipes off Bigshow so thanks to both.

Cliff

Wow that looks sweet are you going to put all your corals into this one? That may affect your overall aquascaping no? I know when I set up my new tank I made all the rock work and it looked awesome but then when I put my corals on I was surprised how many were permanently attached to live rock

Kman

Super Active Member
I will not fit them all I don't think.

When doing aquascape the key is factor in the rocks that the corals are on and be ready to break a few corals off if the rocks are particularly big. I like to lay the foundation of the rocks down first going no higher then half the tank high for the majority of the tank. I tend to go slightly less then I think I should in order to compensate for going to high. It is easier to build up afterwords then if you went to high initially. After I have a good solid base structure that starts to shapes the coming aquascape I start to layer the rocks in uneven heights and depth. This stage I can then work in the corals that I plan to keep and build up other areas of rock work around them. I sort by coral placement so the lower light corals go in first and as I work my way up the rock place my higher light loving corals. I like to place my higher flow corals first so they are closer on the surface of the rocks and then place the lower flow corals in the nooks and crannies. This gives you a more granular approach and lets you mix high light low flow or and low light low flow corals but at the same time not limit your higher flow coral placement.

I like to lay out my rocks on plastic containers for easy viewing. Before I started building I picked up each rock and look over them to see each unique surface placing the side I want to use up. I sort them into classes of rocks. Base stones used for foundation. These typically are big and ugly. Rock face stones. These are the ones that look cool and make up the majority of your viewing space. Finishing stones. Those with really cool shape that are used in spots to add a cool effect or cover a area of rock that doesn't flow right. They can be any size and be use from anything like in the sand to break up a flat line, keep sand where it is or used to finish off a space higher up in your rock. If you take stock of what you have and sort you can click rocks into place so to speak to make your structure flow and look more natural. It makes things easier if you know what you have to work with. I allow lots of spaces and caves in the lower areas of my rocks work to allow for flow between the rock structure. This cuts down on nutrient issues down the road and allows you to have a tank set up for years. Plus the fish love the swim space

Don't forget to allow for growth space around the corals. If the corals grow vertical make sure you place them not to high in the structure so you can allow growth up. To close to the lights or water surface will not allow a coral to grow natural looking and will cause issue. I don't do my rocks in one day and spread it over a few days. That way I can see how it looks and change what I don't like. I set up temp tanks that the corals can be in and leave the rocks i am going to use in buckets of water with heaters and air stones. This lets me not rush and I can let the water clear before moving onto the next phase.

I plan to take pictures as I go along so I can show the tricks of aquascape I have learned. Aquascaping is an art form that takes time to practice so you can learn your form of expression.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Nice @Kman ! I hope everything works out for ya ! (After 20+ years in the hobby) I think you would figure most of the stuff out by now lol , is this set up a used system ? (If so how old is the tank)

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Any updates bud?, also just as a precaution you should probably frag a huge piece off one of them blueberry fans and send it to me, just in case you know ;) tehe:)

Kman

Super Active Member
A few updates. Got some old rocks that have been sitting in storage for years that I acid washed. Nasty looking stuff. We just moved recently and I did this on my driveway. Everyone was quite curious as to what the weirdo with the face shield, full coveralls and big rubber gloves was doing. Quite a few stopped by to introduce themselves. Nothing to see here you look·y-loo!

IMG_20171106_1459326.jpg