Laminate Skinned Stand

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Awhile ago someone (i believe on this forum) had skinned their tank stand with laminate flooring. Actually looked really good! Anyone know who it was? Would like to see pics again. Thinking of going that route with my stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Awhile ago someone (i believe on this forum) had skinned their tank stand with laminate flooring. Actually looked really good! Anyone know who it was? Would like to see pics again. Thinking of going that route with my stand.

just find a pattern you like and go.... options are endless with that stuff. The glue works just like contact cement and a sharp knife cuts it like butter.

hopaddict

Wouldn't the high humidity inside the stand and small spills/splashes wreak havoc on that stuff? I had a dehumidifier leak in my basemet that warped several pieces of the laminate floor. Though it does take some contact time with the water I suppose...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Wouldn't the high humidity inside the stand and small spills/splashes wreak havoc on that stuff? I had a dehumidifier leak in my basemet that warped several pieces of the laminate floor. Though it does take some contact time with the water I suppose...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
I think it would be about the same as mdf. I've used mdf in stands before and have not had any issues.

shamous113

I think it would be about the same as mdf. I've used mdf in stands before and have not had any issues.

most of the flooring is MDF core with wood veneer or a printed wood pattern and a UV cured top coat, If your worried about the exposed edges you can apply a sealer coat, avoid water based products because it can cause swelling, apply 1 thin coat to start and then at least 2 more coats sanding with 150 to 180 grit sand paper in between. I'd recommend polyurethane or a marine grade top coat.