Large scale water filtration

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I've seen some of the high-cap water processing that some of you guys do.
I have a 500 gallon tank I need to keep topped up. Currently, there is just a $3 sediment filter between me and the bottom of my well, 500 feet down. I did a TDS reading on it, and it's something like 250ppm.

anyone have a suggestion as to a good filter system to hook into this? Supposedly the previous owner had the water tested and the claim that a water softener wasn't needed, but I can't just be trusting the water I drink to a $3 filter. thought I might ask here as someone might have an idea?

I can't really do an RO type system, as the water pressure is created by a pump and isn't constant, and I wouldn't want the pump running 24/7 and fighting against a flow restrictor, but I figure they probably make higher flow units? I'm not sure how much we go through in a day, but things like Christmas might push it to the 500 gallons per day, who knows.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I would just have a water storage tank in your house to keep your “well water” and use a ro unit in the house hooked to that ? , I’d personally try to have a water softener (although not sure how hard it is to get salt for it where you’re at ) if it’s just for drinking water you’d be ok ain’t no way you drinking more then 25 gallons a day

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I would just have a water storage tank in your house to keep your “well water” and use a ro unit in the house hooked to that ? , I’d personally try to have a water softener (although not sure how hard it is to get salt for it where you’re at ) if it’s just for drinking water you’d be ok ain’t no way you drinking more then 25 gallons a day
Yeah looking at that option too, but it would be nice if the water we're bathing in I knew was "safe".
The holding tank is inside, if I can just make that water reasonably clean, then it does it's own thing through the house, plus it will likely cut down the times I have to drain/pressure wash the thing etc. Plus, I have to admit that I have always been one of those guys to just drink out of the tap, even the garden hose if I'm too lazy to walk to the house for some water :)

If at all possible I'd like to avoid the softener, we had one as a kid and I've never liked the feeling of softened water. The salt is easy to get, in fact there's a few hundred pounds sitting here, the old owner used it to ice the driveway (it's 3/4 of a kilometer, all downhill), as it's way cheaper than road salt here. I have to believe he's being truthful in that, as there's no telltale signs at all that there was ever a softener here, and no place it would have been hooked up in the system. The utility room here is pretty packed with everything for the in floor heat and on demand hot water.

Eggboy

Good number of people in my area use a house UV sterilizer inline light, I do not have one myself but most of my neighbours do, after set up cost it’s just replace the bulb yearly

Eggboy

After looking these up because I prob should have one Canadian Tire sells a whole house Rainfresh unit R8 (8 gpm) for only $419 and includes a prefilter , yearly replacement bulbs are about $100 , great reviews so have convinced myself to get it