Leather Fragging In Display

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I want to cut a large frag off my massive leather. It is way too big to wrestle out, so will have to do it in tank. The base of what i want to cut is about 3" x 3/4". Given leathers can give off toxins when cut, is this a bad idea?
074a88c97eb67d287e9d00f7b0d0d9ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
No not really, one cut and your system will be fine at distributing the toxin and filtering it out, take a bunch of cuts and it may hurt your system, some (most) (all) will give off toxins if others are in close proximity to it, but for the most part are harmless in our tanks. If one giant leather where to die that may be a different story:0

Kman

Super Active Member
The cut you want to make should be fine but that really depends on what you have in the tank. Some corals are very sensitive to the toxin leathers produce. I would run carbon and do a few small water changes over a few days as a precaution.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Cut a sizeable frag earlier today. A few minutes ago i started spotting AIPTASIA! Also spotted some pods, which i haven't seen in months. Could the toxin from the cut leather have "woken them up"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk