led build

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexusnight

so ive decided i want to go with a led build. i would like to be able to use them on a 120 eventually but currently only have a 55g. They must be good for sps. Right now Im thinking id like to supplement my 4*T5 fixture untill i upgrade my tank.
The catch is..... I have 0 ideas on where to start with everything lol. I was thinking a RB strip maybe????
To be honest i need help. any would be much appreciated.

nexusnight

i guess i should add i am currently running two ati coral plus and two Ati blue plus bulbs. so far there great and im seeing growth and good colour on the sps frags i have. Likely could be better though. I dont plan on doing my upgrade till next fall/winter.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
There are lots of knowledgable people with leds on here.  If you are looking for ideas there are a coupel of good led threads in the DIY.  Mine is linked in my signature.  It was a full fixture build and designed start to finish by me, no kits.  Its really not all that hard to do.

Read through some of the threads and pose you specfric questions ... we will answer :)

nexusnight

Im thinking a 48" strip with 24 rb and dimmable drivers? Not sure if thats enough or should i go 36 rb? Or being a supplement should i do 24 rb and some white and some uv?
I guess i could add more later being i am going to go solderless for ease to modify but would 24 bulbs make enough of a diffrence?
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

AdamS

What are your goals? Light the 120 with purely LED and keep SPS?

Read Read Read. If your waiting until the fall/winter, the advances in LED will be many. So read, understand what people are saying works, and what they are saying does not work.

Understand what wavelengths / colours of light are required to keep corals.

Once you get some ideas, visit some of the locals with LED setups, see what you like and don't like.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
If I was to switch to LEDs, I would follow tdb320reef's DIY LED setup.

Here is a pic from his thread of the LED fixture he built for his fragtank
IMAG1585.jpg

..and here is the frame for his new fixture over his display tank..
ledframe.jpg

Like a lot of others on this site, I think he went with Rapid LED

Maybe check with Tom (tdb320reef) and see what lighting combination and drivers he would recommend. He has a Apogee par meter and has his system perfected to maximize both colouration and growth in his sps dominant systems.

Here's his thread...http://www.thefragtank.ca/forum/index.php?topic=4364.30

nexusnight

:eek:Wow thats sexy lol. Thanks for the help. Definately needs to be sps friendly:)) so what about the strip to supplement my t5s for now?

AdamS

If your just lookin to supplement, spare the cost of dimmable. The meanwell drivers are all adjustable internally. So set it and forget it.

nexusnight

So no need for dimmer eh? Would it be benificial later though? When i upgrade? And still unsure on colour combo. Are uv bulbs worth adding in or just go with rb. Oh and how many? Tbone, u said u did two atrips with 18 each and figured one would do? Im thinking 24 would would b enough ? 18 rb and 6 uv maybe?

nexusnight

Any thoughts on the 54 led kit from those guys? Looks like a stellar deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.