LED DIY

Jewel

I inherited a DIY LED project from another Reefer as part of a trade, The fellow who made it ended up cutting the heat sink into 3 pieces and although it works I'd like to but another heat sink and fix it up, Problem is the LED them selves are not screwed into the heat sink, so what else would be holding them down and can they be taken off and then reapplied to another heat sink?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Ya the epoxy that they send u is hardly an epoxy at all, they will pop right off with a decent thin flat paint scraper.. Or knife.. Or Anything like that

Jewel

That's Good, another thing is theres 3 cords so there must be 3 channel of lights, well these 3 channel of lights have 3 individual dimmers, they can be adjusted manually by turning knobs, My question is can these 3 switches or control knobs be hooked up to a controller and adjusted that way on timers I suppose or are they just manually able to dim?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Jewel link said:
That's Good, another thing is theres 3 cords so there must be 3 channel of lights, well these 3 channel of lights have 3 individual dimmers, they can be adjusted manually by turning knobs, My question is can these 3 switches or control knobs be hooked up to a controller and adjusted that way on timers I suppose or are they just manually able to dim?

Depends on the driver and the controller you want to use, if it's just dials with no DC Wall adaptor then the easiest answer is no, manual dimming is all that possible.

Jewel

That's what I thought, they can be controlled with timers but only for an on off capacity and dimming them would have to be done manually, Probably make a decent LED light, Looks like a project for down the road, What I'd like to do is enclose them in a fixture of some kind and make it look a little more appealing. Thanks for your opinions as always.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
They are dimmable via reef angel or diy controllers, but not apex controllers, that's all I know.

Jewel

Thanks Phil, I took a look, it resembles them but not exactly, I'll do something with it I'm sure. I've got the perfect Fixture to house it in, Only trouble I'm using it at the present time.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
They might be 0-5v dimming in which a diy jeobo connector should work with a reef keeper if you have an ALC, MLC.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Pistol link said:
They might be 0-5v dimming in which a diy jeobo connector should work with a reef keeper if you have an ALC, MLC.
If they came from aquastyle they are probably pwm dimmable drivers

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Duke link said:
[quote author=Pistol link=topic=7654.msg79464#msg79464 date=1391462922]
If they came from aquastyle they are probably pwm dimmable drivers
[/quote]

Correct. There are links to the build in my signature

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Boga

Jewel link said:
I inherited a DIY LED project from another Reefer as part of a trade, The fellow who made it ended up cutting the heat sink into 3 pieces and although it works I'd like to but another heat sink and fix it up, Problem is the LED them selves are not screwed into the heat sink, so what else would be holding them down and can they be taken off and then reapplied to another heat sink?
As an option: I drilled and tapped then used screws to secure LED's in place. I used thermal grease between the LED star and heat sink. More work at the beginning, but after that disassembly is super easy.