Status
Not open for further replies.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
There is probably a half dozen other  threads here with that same question already on these. Will try and post the links when I get home

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Here is one of the threads. There are a few others, but they are just mentioned in the threads. Hopefully the below answers some questions without people having to rewrite.

http://www.thefragtank.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3881.msg34438#msg34438

I have seen similar set ups and they seem to be working great, seen grown and do not have a bad thing to really say. IF you do decide to purchase a China version of an LED fixture, I would go for the dimmable ones.

[shadow=green,left][glow=red,2,300]Words of caution though... these are NOT i repeat NOT CSA (Canadian Standards Association) compliant.[/glow][/shadow]

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
It's definitely ce approved.. Csa approved means didly squat, there will be many things already in your home not csa approved

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
True enough on all accounts. My DIY is not CSA approved, I think that is one way they keep it so cheap ;)

As for the unit, I just wanted to be sure they noticed that it is not CSA approved. Not sure what that does if it catches fire or something.

AdamS

Many electrical devices are not actually 'CSA approved'. There are half a dozen or more agencies that the Electrical Safety Authority recognizes. It would be very difficult for the average homeowner to know them all (I sure don't). I believe there is a list on the ESA website somewhere. However, in my regular dealings with the ESA, i have also come to know that the approval stickers are copied just like everything else in china. I think it would be reasonable to assume that most devices coming from a non reputable manufacturer in china, have not actually been approved. This does not necessarily mean they are unsafe, but that approvals are very expensive. Chances are that you wil not have a problem, but that is a chance you take. As they device gets older, the chance of problem goes up. As stated before, any DIY is certainly not approved.

What does this all mean to the end user? That you run a greater risk of damaging your home or getting hurt. As far a insurance, i have no idea.

Maybe if you hang the fixture above the tank with string, then if it catches fire the string will burn, the fixture will fall in the water and the problem is solved. Except for the electricity in salt water problem.

All that said, i am getting diy LEDs

Seggsy

I got a similar unit to play with on my frag tank, maybe move 2 upstairs to the display later.

I got custom colour, since most folks say that with even white/blue the whites overpower.  And definitely get dimmable.  Can ease the coral into their new light, and can get the colour blend you like most.

A

andrew521

I have 2 of the dimmable ones over my 90, for about 3months.

mightymice

Ok - I've decided to make the leap and try one of these on my frag tank - Seggsy - Where on ebay did you get your custom setup? The one I posted above does not allow customization.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.