Lighting On A Deep Tank

Josh

I am really struggling deciding on the tank size i want. I am stuck on whether to go 24" or 30" tank. I was planning on a 120 but i keep seeing 150 and going "go big now otherwise you are going to be pissed off later"

My question is how deep do lights penetrate. I want to eventually dabble a tiny bit in easy/light SPS. I mostly prefer soft corals which should be fine either way.

I have a t5HO - 6x54W
1 48" reefbrite - 3 x 24w LED - 72W

I am looking at adding a 2nd reefbrite. Toying with getting the XHO instead of the tech to put on the back side of the t5 fixture to get some extra light at the back and would put the tech on the front.

Assuming i am not placing the lights terribly high above the tank do you guys think i can get away with this lighting setup on a 30"?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The bigger questions is 'how long are your arms?'

When I first got my 120 I was wishing I got the 150 for the extra room. But working in my 120, I realized that if I had the 150 then I would not have been able to reach the bottom so any work that needed to be done in the bottom 6" would have been done with tools. Even with the 120 I am using every mm of my arm to get to the bottom just to touch the sandbed.

As for your lighting, that will more then sufficient no matter which tank you go for. Even just the T5 will be enough, but obviously like any tank, you would place corals according to their light requirements.

thehvacman

That what you posted is correct. I run the 48" xho fixture and it's 54w. Your lights will be good enough, it all about coral placement. T5 lights sre plenty powerful enough to grow sps. Just my 2 cents, I really like to be able to reach everything in the tank. When I did my build I measured my arm and went with that depth (22"), and I would do this again as I love the depth of mine. If you want more gallons build a longer tank. Deeper tanks are a pain in the ass. Good luck

Josh

Yeah i need to measure and find out for sure if ill fit however im 6'5 so i should be ok.

During all my research on light depth in a tank 1/2 the posts were "how long are your arms' so thats pretty funny as well.

Yeah i definately think if i do the t5 / reefbrites i should be ok. I also realise if things want more light you place them higher in the water column. I just havent sized lights before so it was nice to hear things are going to be ok.

Nighthawk26

Agree on the arms.... Mine is 24" but 30" front to back. VERY hard to get back there, and with working around scape almost impossible. I don't think I'd EVER do a 30".

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I have a 120 now. 4x2x2
But if I were to do it again. I'd definitely do the 150. 48x30x24
And I'm a short guy.
I personally prefer the 30" tall tank of that foot print. Imo it looks much more impressive.
And your light set up would be plenty for the 150. So no extra cost there.

S8

shamous113

I have a 150 long, its 27" deep i can just reach the bottom and I'm 6'-2", the light combo should be more than enough and you can always add more reefbrights if you need more light.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Its all about personal preference when it comes to tank depth.
I prefer the looks of a deeper tank. Mine is 26" deep, just long enough to reach the bottom- but if i could do it again, I might go deeper :)

you just need to consider if the ease to reach the bottom is worth the trade off for a deeper tank.

Also, I agree that you will have plenty of lighting if you go with T5s in a 30 inch tank to meet the demands of most coral, including sps/acropora. You always need to consider the specific coral and optimal placement.