Limited Time: Single-species Copepods And Rotifers

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
For a limited time, I have some single-strain batches of special-purpose small zooplankton available. Please note the information below each of the species, as they all have specific care requirements and particular functions.

$25/16oz bottles of any of these single-species, and discounts for larger orders. I should have them up on the website later today and have more information on each.

Parvocalanus crassirostris copepod - known specifically for keeping angelfish (dwarf/pygmy angels)
PLEASE NOTE: This species will only eat live phytoplankton, they will not eat complete plankton cells found in commercial products like Marine Snow and Kent Phyto. DT's Phytoplankton is recommended for this, or letting your tank get some sunlight. This copepod has a very limited salinity range of 1.023-1.026.
Brachionus rotundiformis rotifer (s type) - commercial rotifer for fish larvae with very fast sexual and asexual reproduction rate - very small
Brachionus plicatilis rotifer (l type) - for feeding of fish larvae like clown fish, gobies, Mediterranean sea basses and snappers, red drum, pompano, and cobia. Can tolerate full freshwater, but will not breed in freshwater. Can be cultured as low as 1.004 salinity.
Please note: Rotifers should be fed with nannochloropsis algae. If you are wanting to culture your own rotifers for your fry, you will likely need single-species phytoplankton to get the most nutritious rotifers. Research indicates that rotifers fed nannochloropsis, which is very high in HUFA's, provide a far healthier feed for fry than rotifers fed in other ways.

Both types of rotifers can live in a fairly wide range of salinity, but are very easily shocked by changes in salinity and temperature. When preparing to stock a fry tank it is important that the rotifers be slowly acclimated to the tank's salinity and temperature.

If there is any interest in freshwater rotifers, I will be starting up some cultures at 1.004 salinity to feed my dad's freshwater angelfish fry.

Last edited: