Live Rock Hitchhiker

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I noticed this small (2x3) brown encrusting colony on a chunk of live rock that was being put away in a store.  It was pretty rough, just shipped in wet paper, but had some bright red spots showing so I picked it up.

It started to look better immediately but after about a week it totally melted away.  Not a huge shock for a wild specimen that didn't get premium treatment in shipping.....

Recently the few bits and pieces that survived have colored up, started to regrow and today finally started to open.  So looking for opinions on ID...My first guess is a Cyphastrea or Encrusting Goniopora although the polyps are currently much smaller than my Meteor Shower.

So I'll leave it to you guys who know coral morphology much better than I...

DSC03509_zps0f0b0303.jpg

DSC03511_zpse537cd50.jpg

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
AdInfinitum link said:
Thanks, I thought so...Actually looks a lot like the Xmas Cyphastrea Jerry has on his site right now.

ill bring you a semi bleached frag tomorrow to try and revive. then you can compare. free because it needs reviving,

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
unibob link said:
[quote author=AdInfinitum link=topic=6280.msg62162#msg62162 date=1380330765]
Thanks, I thought so...Actually looks a lot like the Xmas Cyphastrea Jerry has on his site right now.

ill bring you a semi bleached frag tomorrow to try and revive. then you can compare. free because it needs reviving,
[/quote]

Cool! I love that kind of thing.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
AdInfinitum link said:
[quote author=unibob link=topic=6280.msg62164#msg62164 date=1380330842]
[quote author=AdInfinitum link=topic=6280.msg62162#msg62162 date=1380330765]

[/quote]

Cool! I love that kind of thing.
[/quote]

I know you do, that's why I know your the dude for the project.