Locally Raised Live Zooplankton: Copepods And Rotifers

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
I culture my own live zooplankton, a blend of mostly copepods (50% tisbe) with rotifers for stocking/feeding my tanks, which over the last few months has bred into a number of large high concentration cultures. I can make fresh, live and active bottles for members looking to seed their tank or boost your pod population. I have 8oz, 12oz and 16oz PET bottles. Sieved and rinsed cultures with fresh saltwater before bottling, and phytoplankton can be added if it isn't being used immediately.

I am located in midtown Toronto, but SamB on the forums here has generously offered to deliver if enough people are interested in the same city.
canadacopepods.jpg

Zooplankton Blend:
Single Bottles
8oz: $25
12oz $30
16oz $40

Seed Packs
Looking to seed your system with a constantly reproducing live source of food?

The recommended system size is an estimate and can vary greatly depending on livestock and availability of hiding places for the zooplankton. The indicated water volumes are the largest system the culture should be able to sustain itself in long-term in a typical setup. This means that by seeding an appropriate amount for your system size and feeding the system phytoplankton regularly, your copepods and rotifers will reproduce in your aquarium at least at the same rate at which they are consumed. Adding above the recommended amount is only advantageous; it allows them to reproduce faster than they are consumed to make up for loss during regular maintenance of the tank, and keeping your reef very well-fed through the day. Adding additional zooplankton will not cause any changes in water chemistry.

Nano Seed Pack 48oz $110
Seed Pack A 64oz (10-50 gallon system) $145
Seed Pack B 80oz (30-70 gallon system) $180
Seed Pack C 96oz (40-90 gallon system) $215
Seed Pack D 112oz (50-110 gallon system) $245
Seed Pack E 128oz (60-130 gallon system) $275
Seed Pack F 144oz (70-70 gallon system) $300
Seed Pack G 160oz (40-90 gallon system) $330
Seed Pack H 176oz (50-110 gallon system) $360
Seed Pack I 192oz (100-210 gallon system) $380

Rotifers
L/S Type or mix
16oz - $35
48oz - $100

Concentrated Phytoplankton
8oz Phytoplankton 100,000 cells / ml - $10
8oz Phytoplankton 1,000,000 cells / ml - $40
8oz Phytoplankton 4,000,000 cells / ml - $80
Commercial quantities available at a discount

Here is a macro shot I took of the concentration of a freshly cultured bottle:
concentration_21-425x280.jpg

One of my tanks, 20 gallons-unsumped seeded with homegrown zooplankton blend. All pod-eating fish, lots of pod-eating inverts and full of coral. The tank doesn't require additional feeding besides the live pod population, which hasn't needed to be replenished in quite a while now. The pods are constantly flying out of the return the population is so dense.
pods%20in%20tank.jpg

glasstank.jpg
My first seed from the first culture, this is a picture of the tank's glass after many weeks of no additional pods.

Last edited:

SamB

Super Active Member
Hey All
I have personally purchased from this great seller
Amazing stuff and very dense pod populations
Helping to support my 2 mandarins :) - yeah I know, what can I say !!

Some of you know me and while I live in GTA, I do travel to beautiful SW Ontario frequently and I am happy to transport for this seller !

SamB

Super Active Member
You won't be disappointed !
Let me know if I can help in the future !

Kman

Super Active Member
I will take a 16 Oz bottle as well. When you pass through Sam.

SamB

Super Active Member
Hey KW and local reefers
Passing thru on Wed May 13 - I can cover Guelph, KW, Ariss, etc
Driving from GTA to KW during business hours
Pods ok at room temp so I'm happy to drop off at your work, school, home etc
Please PM the seller, send him $ and leave your contact info
I've got Eric's contact info from previous !
See you soon
Chatham and Windsor area May 21

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Thanks for the orders guys. Anyone who would like a bottle on either of Sam's trips through KW and Chatham/Windsor send me a message, and I will send one along for you.

Big thanks to Sam!

Also, I don't mind sending them in the mail, as long as they arrive within 48 hours of me shipping them to keep them all alive (the bottle needs to be opened/left ajar at that point). I will ship all bottles right before the mail is picked up at the post office. This means if you are too far for regular mail to arrive within two days, it would have to be shipped express. If people would like to combine orders and cover the fast shipping to further areas, you are more than welcome to.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Hey KW and local reefers
Passing thru on Wed May 13 - I can cover Guelph, KW, Ariss, etc
Driving from GTA to KW during business hours
Pods ok at room temp so I'm happy to drop off at your work, school, home etc
Please PM the seller, send him $ and leave your contact info
I've got Eric's contact info from previous !
See you soon
Chatham and Windsor area May 21
What time roughly are you passing through kw on Wednesday?

The timing might not work for me that day

Sony Xperia Z3

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Thanks for the orders guys!

2 days left to place your orders for the Kitchener/Waterloo run. I have also had some interest in Brantford if anyone would like to order and combine shipping.

SamB

Super Active Member
Hi All
I'm coming to KW during day time hours
Best for me to drop off to the buyers is noonish give or take
I need to get out of KW by 3 pm, to try and miss some of the traffic in Toronto
I can meet Brantford area people at hwy 24 and 401 if you don't mind coming up to the 401

SamB

Super Active Member
:cool:Hey All
Shipping is available from this seller and with the good weather, there is no risk of freezing
But please see my SW Ontario travel schedule for travel till the end of May
I am pretty flexible on timing and I usually hug the 401 corridor
Just my way of helping out my reef friends who may not get to GTA on a regular basis
PM me and I can send you my text number
Brantford - May 20
Woodstock / Ingersoll and general area - May 21
Windsor / St Thomas / London / Sarnia / Chatham / Blenheim / Leamington - May 27/28 - sorry "Windsorites and Chathamites" - my schedule changed a bit !

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Would u ship?
I have no problem shipping them now that the weather is nice, as long as the method of shipping takes 2 days or less. This way everything is alive when you get it (the bottle needs to be opened/left ajar at that point). I will ship all bottles right before the mail is picked up at the post office. This means if you are too far for regular mail to arrive within two days, it would have to be shipped express.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
If anyone in Brantford is interested in a bottle let me know. I will prolly be ordering a bottle