Locally Raised Live Zooplankton: Copepods And Rotifers

SamB

Super Active Member
Hi All, yes I am back with thanks to Torx I am back on the forum and ready to help David Caplan and any other sellers / buyers with my delivery runs through the normal course of my business day
Monday, Aug 10 - Mississauga, Brampton, Milton, Orangeville, Halton Hills etc
Tuesday - Kitchener / Waterloo
Wed - Kingston run - includes towns like Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa,
Cobourg, Port Hope, Belleville
Thursday - Hanover, Guelph, Cambridge, small towns in that area
- hit me up
Friday - GTA / Mississauga, Etobicoke

I should also mention that I am down Windsor way as follows:
I am travelling from my home in GTA to Windsor and parts in between for business on August 18 and returning Aug 19
I can stop in such famous cities as London, Alvinston, Blenheim and Leamington !
I am leaving GTA in the AM on Aug 18th and I will be overnight in Windsor on the 18th and returning to GTA late in the day on the 19th
If I can help anyone to deliver goods or bring goods back to the city, please PM me - no charge for my servces
If livestock is involved, please note my schedule and PM me to review logistics because I want everything to get to its destination alive !

Feels good to be back and I hope that all can embrace me ! Or at least forgive me for my absence !

Last edited:

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
I know people really like to fill their sumps with critter-filled macro, but at the same time, the majority of us probably don't, or don't want to, put water from another system in your tank. This leaves the option of rinsing it and losing the pods, or adding the water directly to the tank. I think its about time there is something a little more appropriate for people who both want the pods and the peace of mind of fresh water.

I've started growing my own macro-algaes in cultures. All Algaes are thoroughly rinsed with fresh saltwater before I add lots of rinsed pod/rotifer blend. Phyto is only fed to the cultures in small amounts regularly, so you will be getting macro filled with zooplankton in fresh saltwater with no worries of contaminating your tank. Just float the bag of macroalgae in your sump, and release it slowly with the return off. The pods will have populated the crevices of the macro as much as possible, and the rest of the water will contain the pelagic pods, filling your sump with life.

I have got a nice bunch of Caulerpa prolifera, and am growing out some Chaeto. They are both loaded with not only my pod blend, but when they were rinsed, I was able to sieve the zooplankton that were already in the algaes and put them back into the fresh water. Even more diversity! Once I establish a steady growth rate I will start shipping it, for now, pickup only.

Also, right now I am giving away a bottle of concentrated phytoplankton to customers that pick up their orders so they can try it themselves and give me feedback. So far, I have heard only great things!

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
I haven't updated this in a while, you guys have been keeping me super busy
smile.gif
Thanks to everyone who has picked up bottles and seed packs, hope you've had great results.

As some of you who purchase from me regularly know, I have been able to increase volume and buy things in wholesale amounts, and have lowered my prices. Here are the products I always have in stock, I will update the OP with the information.

Zooplankton Blend:
Single Bottles
8oz: $25
12oz $30
16oz $40

Seed Packs
Looking to seed your system with a constantly reproducing live source of food?

The recommended system size is an estimate and can vary greatly depending on livestock and availability of hiding places for the zooplankton. The indicated water volumes are the largest system the culture should be able to sustain itself in long-term in a typical setup. This means that by seeding an appropriate amount for your system size and feeding the system phytoplankton regularly, your copepods and rotifers will reproduce in your aquarium at least at the same rate at which they are consumed. Adding above the recommended amount is only advantageous; it allows them to reproduce faster than they are consumed to make up for loss during regular maintenance of the tank, and keeping your reef very well-fed through the day. Adding additional zooplankton will not cause any changes in water chemistry.

Nano Seed Pack 48oz $110
Seed Pack A 64oz (10-50 gallon system) $145
Seed Pack B 80oz (30-70 gallon system) $180
Seed Pack C 96oz (40-90 gallon system) $215
Seed Pack D 112oz (50-110 gallon system) $245
Seed Pack E 128oz (60-130 gallon system) $275
Seed Pack F 144oz (70-70 gallon system) $300
Seed Pack G 160oz (40-90 gallon system) $330
Seed Pack H 176oz (50-110 gallon system) $360
Seed Pack I 192oz (100-210 gallon system) $380

Rotifers
L/S Type or mix
16oz - $35
48oz - $100

Concentrated Phytoplankton
8oz Phytoplankton 100,000 cells / ml - $10
8oz Phytoplankton 1,000,000 cells / ml - $40
8oz Phytoplankton 4,000,000 cells / ml - $80
Commercial quantities available at a discount

Additionally, for locals, I have a lot of frags I've cut out of my tank available, just swing by and take a look. PM me for address and phone number.

Thanks again to all of you guys, I have heard wonderful things!

Also, if you swing by this weekend while I am water changing my many cultures, there will be additional discounts on seed packs, as they will already be freshly sieved!

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
If I used a seed pack on a brand new system would I need as big of one? There would be no predators in the tank for 2 months anyhow.
The seed packs assume people have predators. 2 months of reproduction is quite a bit, I would suggest a little over half of the guidelines I laid out.

Also if anyone ever wants to make the drive out to pick up your pack I will make it worthwhile, free phyto or frag with each pack instead of shipping, and got a little frag tank setup:
C040482.jpg

SamB

Super Active Member
Hey Mike I'm coming to London this week and I can deliver if you wish
Sam