Looking For 3/4 Electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Ads' started by jeffopentax, Dec 13, 2017.

1. jeffopentax

jeffopentax Super Active Member

My 7 year old daughter has been strumming on an el cheapo guitar that is more a toy than an instrument. Looking to get her a 3/4 electric. Given she’s 7, chances are she’ll lose interest sooner rather than later. Going out and paying $300 for a brand new, half decent guitar would be more financially irresponsible than getting into the fish keeping hobby. Anyone have one they’re willing to let go for a reasonable price? Looking for 3/4 size only at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Big_Als_London

Big_Als_London Super Active Member Website Affiliate

@Saltycracker should tell you where a good place to buy guitars.

3. Neopimp

Neopimp Website Doctor Staff Member Website Admin

I find that buying a decent guitar will tend to hold its value:)

I am talking about acoustic guitars though

4. jeffopentax

That is true, but if she decides she doesn’t want play, it doesn’t matter what it’s worth. Case in point, i spent around $500 on an acoustic about 10 years ago. I have only played it enough to change the strings once. Perhaps I should have spent less...

5. Salty Cracker

Salty Cracker Administrator Staff Member Website Admin

Lol, I'm hooked on the Chibsons right now. I just can't believe the quality of the damn things. In fact I just noticed they do ovation semi-acoustics... must resist...

I would feel bad about it, but how poorly gibson has been treating customers, fans and the guitars themselves, I have no problem buying a les paul for literally 10% of the real thing. I mean yes there is a difference, yes they should be able to make a profit, but 1/10th the price?? Eat a dick gibson. $310 CAN shipped for a custom shop les paul that was set up better than the local shop could do it, and finish that is 99% as good as original?? Pickups, bridge piece and maybe tuners were the only things I could find any fault with, and they're still really good (better than the el degas guitars used to be)

(not much help, try kijiji for 3/4 guitars, I swear there was a jackson mini on there not too long ago).

Shooter000 likes this.
  6. SamB

SamB Super Active Member

7. jeffopentax

Seems to me, from what I’ve read, you take your chances with Chibsons. Hard to say who writes the “horror stories” though...

8. Salty Cracker

Indeed. What you need to do is use the feedback system. If one of the sellers has sold say 300 units, and the feedback is over 4 stars on a lot of units, then quality is probably pretty good. Sellers with 0 sales would be a problem.

I've been around guitars for 48 years, I have a gibson here older than I am. I fancy myself pretty good at fixing/playing/setup on these things... the les paul I got was so nice I got the same place to build me a wolfgang archtop. I'm seriously considering a custom ovation semi-acoustic from the same shop. I literally started out trying to get parts for a guitar I have that I wanted to restore...and it was cheaper to buy a whole guitar than the parts. Crazy.

9. Salty Cracker

Well a couple of things. 2 years ago was a long time in the counterfeit rings. From what I understand, a few of the "better" shops took all the negative feedback, and the "how to spot a fake" posts, and used them to improve the copies. I did the "10 things to look for on a fake gibson" and of the 10, mine had 2. The bridge was an epiphone style bridge, and the edge on the guitar was a little bit wider than the one I went to see at long and mcquaids. Everything else was perfect.

Second would be gibson putting shills out to do things about not buying copies. They have a lot to lose, considering people are really getting pissed at them lately. Lots of stories (verified) of guitar stores being told to smash up perfectly good $2000 guitars, instead of shipping them back to gibson. If the things are worth $2K you would think the factory would want them back. Plus lots of flak about the management, etc etc. So hard to put a lot of stock in it.

The one I got, the frets were good, the intonation was perfect, except for the G string which was an easy fix. The pickups are good, maybe not $500 ones, but use-able. The finish on the guitar was quite good for the money. I was expecting fingerprints or smears or who knows what from the online reports on chibsons, but it was awesome. Considering the same guitar is $3100 at long and mcquade right now...perfectly acceptable (this guitar is for my son for Christmas) IMG_20171201_1231456.jpg

Kevin Cantelon and SamB like this.
  10. Salty Cracker

I'd like to point out that I in no way recommend Chinese guitars. I'm saying I'm quite pleased with them, but who knows, you could order and get a complete dog's breakfast, and hey, you're likely hurting the gibson company (although since 2013 gibson really isn't gibson anymore, and maybe they have their guitars built in korea now, you would never know). My dad ordered his gibsons from kalamazoo michigan back in the day, and you cold drive down and chat with the guys making your guitar. Those were different days...

(I'm also an aliexpress addict, so take that into consideration too) :)

Big_Als_London likes this.
  11. jeffopentax

Found this washburn for $75. Apparently a decent little guitar. Will definitely need a repaint! [​IMG][​IMG]