Looking for a DIY LED builder that needs some furniture :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bomb1977

I'm starting up a tank, I have 2 openings in the top of my tank that are 28"x16" so I'm thinking of making up 2 panels to fit these openings and mount my LED lighting in these.

The problem that I see is LED lighting being way over priced. I'm a retailer of furniture myself and I would love to have the kinds of margins these companies have...

I'm looking for somebody to build me at cost 2 panels that simply have 2 plugs each that I can put into a power bar with timers. One for Daytime light, one for night light. I may decide to use a dimmer set up down the road.

I want to be able to grow anything, so I want a mix of LED's. 3 watt LED's and good high K ratings. I don't want to have to worry about low par readings at the bottom of the tank. The night lights, not as complecated.

What I can offer on top of paying the material costs is you having access to my entire catologue of items at cost. I sell every type of furniture you can imagine along with custom work. I also sell high end beds like Green Sleep and Tempur Pedic. You can buy whatever you need directly from me, for the exact amount I'm invoiced for the product. I'll even let you place multiple orders as you've done me a huge favour.

Yes I can do the job. I'm actually a Tool and Die Maker by trade. But having a young family and a business really leaves me requiring 28 hours a day, not 24. I just don't have time to do it.

I'm looking for 2 panels that are water proof and loaded with 3 watt LED's, I would like a mix of 10k, 15k and 20k whites. For the night lights, blue are perfectly fine. I was thinking 2 panels maybe 24" x 12" that I can centre in the 28"x16" openings. 120 watts per side works for me.

If you build these and you're in Ontario...shoot me a PM. I will pay for any invoice you show me regarding the building of my panel and I will show you the invoice of anything you order from my store at cost.

I'm saving a few hundred bucks, you could save thousands...

blair

you should take a look at the AI sols there actually reasonably priced for the dimensions you are working with, and you can add on the nice controller down the road, talk to bill at incredible aquariums, it would cost you almost the same as a diy without having to get sombody to build you yur units.... hth

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I did not want to be the first one to mention it, however, I have the feeling that the at cost difference that you would lose would far out weight the cost of a good LED unit. It is almost cheaper now to buy a unit then DIY a good one. The only advantage of a DIY now is for custom dimensions.

On a side note, I am willing to do another DIY, only can not offer at cost as well... I dont get them for cost LoL.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
If you really want a DIY kit ..and I see your in Hamilton  pop over to the coral reef shop in Burlington  they have some led lights they build from a DIY kit  over there frag tanks

Victoss

I still think for the time being DIY is still cheaper, for example my fixture has 48 cree LEDs and was $500 where one AI Sol has 24 so for 2 is $800 and personally I think my fixture looks pretty damn good ;). This does take some time though which you obviously don't have so it's always and option. If looking at the Ebay fixtures, they are cheap but this would be risky in my opinion. There are a few good ones from a quick glance but I would not use any with BridgeLux LEDs. I'm not trying to start a discussion between cree and bridgelux because true bridgelux are pretty good but most company's use the fake bridgelux LEDs which have a really decreased efficiency (and the fakes sell for a lot less which is what makes them tempting).

There is a link to my build on the KWAS forums just for examples sake.  8)
http://www.kwas.ca/forum/showthread.php?23215-Full-Spectrum-LED-build&p=151180#post151180

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Victoss link said:
I still think for the time being DIY is still cheaper, for example my fixture has 48 cree LEDs and was $500 where one AI Sol has 24 so for 2 is $800 and personally I think my fixture looks pretty damn good ;). This does take some time though which you obviously don't have so it's always and option. If looking at the Ebay fixtures, they are cheap but this would be risky in my opinion. There are a few good ones from a quick glance but I would not use any with BridgeLux LEDs. I'm not trying to start a discussion between cree and bridgelux because true bridgelux are pretty good but most company's use the fake bridgelux LEDs which have a really decreased efficiency (and the fakes sell for a lot less which is what makes them tempting).

There is a link to my build on the KWAS forums just for examples sake.  8)
http://www.kwas.ca/forum/showthread.php?23215-Full-Spectrum-LED-build&p=151180#post151180

i have been searching the web,i cant find anything to substantiate fake bridgelux LEDS,maybe you can show me?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
The eBay fixture i got is all bridgelux LEDs. If They work for you I wouldn't worry about how genuine they are.

Victoss

Well fake definitely isn't the right word, Bridgelux does sell the chips alone that are then packaged by a different manufacturing company. Compared to the Bridgelux arrays they sell them selves the chips that are repackaged are not as efficient but they still are bridgelux technically. They are not bad to use but if your looking for the optimal light output then cree is better however you can still use bridgelux but I would use more LEDs then compared to cree. Around 30% less efficient is what I last saw so it's definitely quality over budget but they both will work.

An example would be the Aquastyle site which uses bridgelux, many people have made DIY fixtures from this site (I was even considering it) but I would of instead bought the 72 kit or bigger and the drivers looked terrible (they now have MeanWell though). Many people like this idea better because there is more spread from the increased number of LEDs. For my build I chose rapidLED (cree) because I wanted to use a variety of colours and be sure I was getting the most efficiency from them.

Another thing I want to note that is really important is that not only is the intensity a major factor but also the spectrum and cree has the best binning of any company out there.
(P.S. Some of the colours from rapid are not cree but phillips which have a very good spectrum and output for certain colours such as reds)

So to recap bridgelux are totally fine to use but I would recommend using more, sorry if I confused anyone.

Victoss

Ya I just edtited it, I think there more around 30% less from searching around a bit, so their not that bad, just not as good ;).

Victoss

Ya most of it is from measurements from people on forums because it is very difficult to find any information on the bridgelux LEDs. Bridgelux does not make the LEDs we use, what they make are the chips and arrays (which look like big yellow circles and are only in white). Instead they make chips which hundreds of other manufacturers make the body (or package) for the chip. So one bridgelux LED may have a different lens and body then another bridgelux LED and for the most part do not have data sheets widely available.

here is an email I found from Bridgelux:

"A few clarifications on Bridgelux first.
- we produce and sell LED die (or chips) which we sell (mostly in Asia) to component companies which use our chips to create all kinds of lighting products, including packaged LED emitters (single chip and multichip), multichip LED arrays, light bulbs, and many other LED components.
- we also use our chips to produce our own line of multichip LED arrays in various package styles that generate 250-8000 lumens of white light.
- all our products can be seen at www.bridgelux.com go to products, then to either die or arrays.
- we only make blue die / chips
- our arrays are only white (warm, neutral, cool).
- we don’t sell the chips thru Digikey or Newark , only the arrays.

It is quite possible that AquaStyle is using our chips as we sell 100’s of millions of chip to Asia every year. However, most of our chips are sold thru distributors and without knowing the actual manufacturing company (I doubt they buy under the Aqua-Style company name) it would be hard to prove they are actually using Bridgelux."

link http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t283989.html

Status
Not open for further replies.