Looking For Overflow Suggestions??

Hyperhippy

Website
www.universalartwork.com
I have a 120g long tank 6'x18"x22". It came drilled low on the back for overflows. I'm trying to figure out the best way to make this work with overflow boxes. I was thinking of two 6" tall boxes mounted to back glass, drilled in the bottom for the existing setup to plumb through and have the pipes about an inch and a half below the teeth of the box. Like the Herbie, without the fail safe. Trying to do this fairly simple and with the least amount of noise. The returns are going to be plumbed over top in the centre. Not sure if I should check and see if anyone has any, buy new or build my own??
Any oppinions or suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thanks...Jim...
image.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I would do crescent overflows around each from bottom to top. Leave the bottom for full siphon, then drill at least a second set of holes half way up between the current holes and top for a trickle of water to have a complete silent full siphon. Add a third hole above that if you are worried about an emergency. Best part...you do not need any more plumbing in the tank other then buying a few bulkheads.

Hyperhippy

Website
www.universalartwork.com
I would do crescent overflows around each from bottom to top. Leave the bottom for full siphon, then drill at least a second set of holes half way up between the current holes and top for a trickle of water to have a complete silent full siphon. Add a third hole above that if you are worried about an emergency. Best part...you do not need any more plumbing in the tank other then buying a few bulkheads.
Should have mentioned, would like to avoid drilling! Trying to make due with what I have by adding some sort of overflow. Have read, if I keep it 1-2" below the teeth and submerge it in the sump, that it is pretty much silent!
Thanks though!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It will be silent, but any slow down in the pipe will result in the water rising and over flowing. Murphys Law says it will happen while you are sleeping or at work. If you do not want to drill, then I would stick to the same plan of 2 cresent overflows, only plumb one pipe higher so the left is a full siphon with the right is your trickle and handles any extra flow if needed.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Hyperhippy

Website
www.universalartwork.com
It will be silent, but any slow down in the pipe will result in the water rising and over flowing. Murphys Law says it will happen while you are sleeping or at work. If you do not want to drill, then I would stick to the same plan of 2 cresent overflows, only plumb one pipe higher so the left is a full siphon with the right is your trickle and handles any extra flow if needed.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Thanx TORX. Your info is much appreciated!!

Nighthawk26

PERSONALLY, I would just box the whole thing pipe to pipe. Just keep it shallow enough depth wise to be able to access the pipes if need be. If you want a Herbie, I'd want both pipes being in the same overflow. Not only that, you'll get more area to skim that top water through the wier. My tank is 6' and my back box is 2ft in the middle section. I have a herbie setup. It is essentially silent. A few people on here have seen it and can't believe how quiet it is. You want a little trickle in the emergency and full siphon on the main drain. Of course you want a gate valve on that main drain.

Hyperhippy

Website
www.universalartwork.com
PERSONALLY, I would just box the whole thing pipe to pipe. Just keep it shallow enough depth wise to be able to access the pipes if need be. If you want a Herbie, I'd want both pipes being in the same overflow. Not only that, you'll get more area to skim that top water through the wier. My tank is 6' and my back box is 2ft in the middle section. I have a herbie setup. It is essentially silent. A few people on here have seen it and can't believe how quiet it is. You want a little trickle in the emergency and full siphon on the main drain. Of course you want a gate valve on that main drain.
Thanks Nighthawk. Any chance of posting a picture of yours?

Nighthawk26

Essentially This is exactly my tank with slight modifications to it. All my pics of mine are on my phone. Just imagine a standard weir overflow is all (the teeth). My return also runs up through there. You could either run a pipe up and over and down into that, then out the sides with loc line returns to the left and the right, or you could split it behind your tank and come up and over on the left and right side of the overflow. Personally I think it would look cleaner out of the overflow sides so you don't seen them coming from the top. Hope that makes sense.
w72x30x24winternal.jpg