Lost Fish

Casey

I lost 2 clowns after power outage this is my readings anything wrong with these???

Attachments

• D0D970AC-34D3-4B0C-A031-9BB936E9F4A5.jpeg
    D0D970AC-34D3-4B0C-A031-9BB936E9F4A5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 108

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Look into HC GFO (high cap granulated ferric oxide). As the others mentioned, those numbers should not kill any fish. They are less favorable towards coral then fish. My guess goes with them, if power is out for a while the oxygen in the water can be depleted quickly. Especially if you have a lot of copepods or not running a skimmer regularly. Many people have a back up battery powered air pump to save their fish in an outage.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Ok thanks does the vodka dosage work for real??
Vodka dosing works best for lowering nitrates. In turn your phosphates will come down a little. Vodka, vinegar and sugar dosing are what is known as carbon dosing. They all work as long as you follow the instructions and make sure to do it daily. I vinegar dosed for a while successfully. I used vodka as well, but let's face it, vinegar is cheaper and vodka is better to drink. It was just a pita to do it daily without a doser. That is why I went back to biopellets.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Casey

Ok so I can use the bio pellets in my canister to bring it down see I did a water change last week 20 gal on my 90 gal tank then waited and did another 20 gal yesterday. So nitrates should be lower today

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Ok so I can use the bio pellets in my canister to bring it down see I did a water change last week 20 gal on my 90 gal tank then waited and did another 20 gal yesterday. So nitrates should be lower today
In essence yes, nitrates should be lower by the % of water changed. 20 gallon water change is roughly 20%. Nitrates were at 40. 20% water change would bring it down 8 to 32. Another 20% water change would bring it down 6.4 to 25.6. That is assuming the water you are adding is 0 nitrate and the tank is not creating more during that time frame. You can quickly see how water changes is not a good way to lower nitrates. As they get lower, the 20% is less effective while going through a lot of salt and ro/di.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I choose biopellets due to its ease and set and forget type. I add some pellets every 1-3 months depending on how quickly they deteriorate. Cheapest to get set up is vinegar. $1.79 for a liter at my grocery store and that will probably last you 3-6 months. The only other thing you need is an old syringe from a test kit or kids medicine syringe. But you need to do it daily.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I think I am going to go get the bio pellets for my canister filter
You can't use biopellets in a canister filter. They need excessive flow and tumbling or they just clump and basically rot. They need a biopellet reactor whether purchased or DIY.