Low Maintenance Nano Project

Zach

Not new to the hobby but this is a first project for me. I'm usually of the bigger is better variety but I'm trying to do this project relatively cheap and easy. See if anyone has any good advice for me.

Looking to start up a low maintenance nono or pico tank. Max 20 gallons. To keep water changes down to a minimum I'm aiming at heavy coral load with minimal fish. Maybe a gobby or something small and cool looking.

Looking for advice on:

Lighting
Aio vs non package
Recomemded corals
Recomemded fish
Dosing
Any other tips you might have

Not apposed to natural filtration options either if people think mangroves might help keep nitrates down. Thinking a heavy zoa lps stock should absorb a lot of it. Maybe doing a back wall in gsp will eat a lot of the excess nutrients?

Who's got some good ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have run both nano and pico tanks. They are no more or less work then my 120+. The only difference is about $20 on the hydro bill and salt. I ran a JBJ AIO 28 Gallon Nano Cube. I ran no skimmer or filtration with 0 issues. Just weekly 5 gallon water changes and daily ATO. It was heavy zoa and LPS with a few clowns. As you know, dosing only matters if you need to according to testing.

Lighting: Anything, depends on your coral needs. Black box works, so would AI or Radion 15's. Lots of success with Kessil as well
Aio vs non package: AIO is best for a nano IMHO
Recomemded corals: what ever you want. Zoas/LPS is easiest as a minimal tank as SPS has higher care demands in a smaller tank
Recomemded fish: goby and a rare clown pair.
Dosing: depends on test results.

20130115_074206.jpg

Zach

I have run both nano and pico tanks. They are no more or less work then my 120+. The only difference is about $20 on the hydro bill and salt. I ran a JBJ AIO 28 Gallon Nano Cube. I ran no skimmer or filtration with 0 issues. Just weekly 5 gallon water changes and daily ATO. It was heavy zoa and LPS with a few clowns. As you know, dosing only matters if you need to according to testing.

Lighting: Anything, depends on your coral needs. Black box works, so would AI or Radion 15's. Lots of success with Kessil as well
Aio vs non package: AIO is best for a nano IMHO
Recomemded corals: what ever you want. Zoas/LPS is easiest as a minimal tank as SPS has higher care demands in a smaller tank
Recomemded fish: goby and a rare clown pair.
Dosing: depends on test results.

View attachment 16222
Great advise. Thanks Torx.

Was looking at a kessel a80 tuna blue. Think that'd be strong enough for a 10-15 gallon long tank?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Great advise. Thanks Torx.

Was looking at a kessel a80 tuna blue. Think that'd be strong enough for a 10-15 gallon long tank?

It would be , i he nearly would invest in the 160 tune blue just so you can run it on a much less intense settings and probably get more life out of it plus it’ll grow anything on a tank that size

Zach

It would be , i he nearly would invest in the 160 tune blue just so you can run it on a much less intense settings and probably get more life out of it plus it’ll grow anything on a tank that size
Any advantage to the 160 over an AI prime? Price point seems similar

Jewel

As the other Reefers have said, just because it's a Nano doesn't mean there's less maintenance, just less realestate to maintain,

Good luck with this endevour.:)