LPS heads falling off??

G

Gietz

So I'm completely lost with this one.... My neon green torch's heads are pealing off the It's skeleton and floating around? I had it in a higher area of flow and was thinking the pressure was pealing it off... I just moved it to a low flow area so I have my fingered crossed :/

When the first head fell off it didn't did but calcified and started growing... Is this torch fragging itself LMAO...

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

G

Gietz

Nope it's not brown jelly...  It's weird the hea falls off and then in a month I glue it to another rock....

I'm completely lost and have asked and shown a lot off ppl and no one can figure out why... They just say I have a self fragging Torch :/

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
It is a kind of "self-fragging" but not a good kind.

It's sometimes called "polyp bailout".  When a coral finds itself in unfavorable conditions sometimes the polyps will detach from the skeleton in hopes that the currents will carry them to a better location.  Any irritant can cause this reaction...poor water quality esp. high phosphates, lighting, current or incompatible stinging neighbors.  The same kinds of things that make an anemone (that can move on its own) start crawling around.

My Duncans did it a long time ago, the last time I used aluminum based phosphate remover before switching to GFO.