Lump On Clownfish

ALowe

So I have a photon clown in my newly established 72 gallon. Everything was from aquariums by design and from my understanding they dose their sale tanks with copper to kill off any parasites. Everyone looked very healthy and feeding(minus the copper band who was an impulse buy and I didn't research the death rate. Only lasted about a week until he croaked ). About a week ago, a small white lump that looked like a pimple on his lower lip. From my experience it does not look like ich. It has now turned red in colour which I'm pretty sure ich does not do. I have tried to find this online and can't find anything! Hopefully it's nothing too serious! I was hoping my cleaner shrimp would take care of him but nothing yet.

ALowe

Not quite sure if that's it! That seems a little more aggressive than what I'm seeing on my clown! Keep trying to upload pics but they are too large.

ALowe

How do I use photobucket? On a positive note, lump was getting smaller over last few days and is almost unnoticeable now. Hopefully it stays away! I'll try to upload a pic so you guys can see what it was.

4Hummer

"aquariums by design and from my understanding they dose their sale tanks with copper "

Not true. Fish come from their wholesalers, go into their tanks, and sold the next day. Even if they "used copper" they are not quarantining their livestock (It would take to long for them to do this 4-6weeks before they can sell)

YOU NEED TO PROPERLY quarantine all fish or your asking for trouble.

Carl's Aquarium in Etobicoke is the only place I have found that actually properly treat and quarantine their fish prior to sale, Plus prices are half of that of retail stores
(Look them up on Kijji) It's the only place I buy my fish now

sunnykita

Super Active Member
"aquariums by design and from my understanding they dose their sale tanks with copper "

Not true. Fish come from their wholesalers, go into their tanks, and sold the next day. Even if they "used copper" they are not quarantining their livestock (It would take to long for them to do this 4-6weeks before they can sell)

YOU NEED TO PROPERLY quarantine all fish or your asking for trouble.

Carl's Aquarium in Etobicoke is the only place I have found that actually properly treat and quarantine their fish prior to sale, Plus prices are half of that of retail stores
(Look them up on Kijji) It's the only place I buy my fish now

I have to disagree with this post, yes many stores do bring livestock in and release it the next day, but not all. I know for fact that Sealife Central in London quarantines their new stock before releasing for sale. I think we could turn this into a which stores we know do quarantine vs the not true blanket statement. As we are from all over the area we could post the stores that we know do quarantine and recommend that others visit these stores in their travels. Something we could all benefit from. Sorry to hijack the original post but had to reply.

4Hummer

I have to disagree with this post, yes many stores do bring livestock in and release it the next day, but not all. I know for fact that Sealife Central in London quarantines their new stock before releasing for sale. I think we could turn this into a which stores we know do quarantine vs the not true blanket statement. As we are from all over the area we could post the stores that we know do quarantine and recommend that others visit these stores in their travels. Something we could all benefit from. Sorry to hijack the original post but had to reply.

This is good to know, I will definitely be checking this store out

Like the idea of starting a thread of stores known to quarantine,

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
would have to ask stace on that one but they do run copper through their systems at aquariums by design and i tell you their fish look good compared to alot of places just remember copper is for the free floating larval stage and does very little for anything else...
when i got my false perc clown i noticed a white spot on his face got a little worried but was gone within a month never to be seen again