Mag Stupid High. What Gives?

Zach

Was there a recent changes in your system? different salt, different additives or new equipment?

Strange that the system was fine for the past two years, then all of a sudden high mag. How often were you testing before? When was the last time you checked your mag before it went through the roof?

Some great advice from the other members about not dosing anything and just keep up with water changes until the system levels out.

Sony Xperia Z3
Oh crap. I have an idea. I recently tried aquarium epoxy. I thought it said reef safe. Use for fragging. All that. But any coral near where I used it is either dead or dying right now. Am I crazy?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Hmmmm.......
I've never really had much of an issue with epoxy before. Especially the ones that say "reef safe"

How much did you use in total?
Did you mix the epoxy with bare hands or with gloves?
We're your hands or gloves clean before mixing it?
I doubt it's the epoxy. Ive never experienced any spikes other than the skimmer going nuts for a bit. Just trying to play devils advocate. Sometimes a bunch of questions spark a memory

Sony Xperia Z3

Zach

Have you tested your freshly made sw?

Sony Xperia Z3
So I finally got around to testing the magnesium levels in my saltwater mixes. right now they're running around 3200 ppm. The bad news is I have no idea how I'm going to fix this. The good news is I now have a brand new bottle of reef advantage magnesium that I'm willing to trade for pretty much anything.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
So I finally got around to testing the magnesium levels in my saltwater mixes. right now they're running around 3200 ppm. The bad news is I have no idea how I'm going to fix this. The good news is I now have a brand new bottle of reef advantage magnesium that I'm willing to trade for pretty much anything.
Sounds to me your test kit is pooched.

Have someone else test it with a different test kit!

Sony Xperia Z3

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Im leaning towards bad test kits or flawed technique as well.. there is not a single scenario where new mix salt water should read 3000.

Easiest way is to just bring a sample of water in somewhere and have it tested

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
tests are a pain in the @$$ i take my water to my lfs for checking a couple times a year just to ensure mine are still good. like neopimp said no salt even with settling should ever read that high

Kman

Super Active Member
I have seen bad batches of saltwater with high ratios of calcium or magnesium. I would also stop all dosing and only do water changes. I had a bad batch of salt with really high calcium once. So I went out and got new salt and just used the bad batch every other water change. To allow the calcium to naturally drop and to not waste the salt.