Mangroves Vs Water Bamboo

BigReefer

Super Active Member
Hey Reefers

I been thinking about adding some mangroves in my rumble in my sump ... about 2-3 of them ... I was just wondering how u guys plant them ??? any pics would be great ...

also ... i was wondering when i was walking in my living room i saw my amazing water bamboo plant and i was wondering whats the difference ??? would water bamboo take nitrite out of water to ????

thanks
Bigreefer

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I used an elastic and held four together. Then I cut a piece of styrofoam with a hole in the middle. Then insert the mangrove pods. I float that over some live rock. Within a month or so the roots will develop and once stable, usually 6 months. Then I remove the elastic and styro.

I've read that they do much better when the root system is rooted through live rock. Rather than directly in the sand. I've never tried planting them directly in the sand. So I have no comparison.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I used an elastic and held four together. Then I cut a piece of styrofoam with a hole in the middle. Then insert the mangrove pods. I float that over some live rock. Within a month or so the roots will develop and once stable, usually 6 months. Then I remove the elastic and styro.

I've read that they do much better when the root system is rooted through live rock. Rather than directly in the sand. I've never tried planting them directly in the sand. So I have no comparison.
You put the mangroves right in your display system? or are you talking about your refugium?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
In my fuge on my main system and in the back compartment on my nano.

I use two in my nano and about 14 in my main. Neither system ever tests any po4 or no3 and I don't use pellets or gfo in any of my systems
b921b25689196f7abf4637feb706b5a2.jpg
e72f6349e6d74b5ffa69abfd716c549b.jpg

Sony Xperia Z3

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I had one in the back of my nano and I than put a tuxedo urchin back there after getting frustrated with it moving frags everywhere.. Well it ate the mangrove pretty fast.
I need to get some more now I dont have the urchin,

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I had one in the back of my nano and I than put a tuxedo urchin back there after getting frustrated with it moving frags everywhere.. Well it ate the mangrove pretty fast.
I need to get some more now I dont have the urchin,

I'm running out of seaweed because of the damn urchin lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
did i not warn you? anyone that has a chaetos issue needs one of these then you will have still have a chaeto issue just you wont have any :)

BigReefer

Super Active Member
I try and shop all over trrying to keep everyone in business but i think unibob will be getting most of my business moving forward

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I try and shop all over trrying to keep everyone in business but i think unibob will be getting most of my business moving forward

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I don't mind the sounds of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk