Marble Tile Frag Plugs

I've been seeing some posts on the net where people use certain meshed tiles as frag plugs. I was wondering if this would be safe to use ...

https://www.lowes.ca/backsplashes-w...c-indooroutdoor-wall-floor-tile_g2462405.html

The only thing that I'm a bit concerned about is that it says the finish is 'POLISHED'. I've seen posts where some remove the mesh and glue and others leave it on. Apparently they cut out a section of several 1" tiles ... place a frag in the middle ... and cut the outside tiles off once the frag / colony has expanded to those tiles.

Any thoughts or suggestions from your experience would be appreciated. :cool:

Alexanneka

I did post a thread a while ago about something similar and one of the peeps on here said most ppl use a natural travertine tile and just cut it how they want.

Unfortunately I don't have an easy way to cut it. And I like the look of the hex shape for the plugs. Maybe if I can get to Lowes I'll grab a couple tiles and give it a try. Just wondering if I should peel the mesh and crap off the back and use the rough side for the frags?

I could still place the tiles against each other. But yeah it wouldn't be as secure. I've read of others' doing this though ... with and without the mesh.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I have used the 1"x1" tiles. I soaked the adhesives off. I will say that the natural travertine worked a lot better than the smooth granote tiles, the corals liked it better. Only downside was that they were heavy, so a magnetic frag rack would have to be beefy to hold them (and they slide around because there's no bottom post).

I wouldn't use them with the mesh and adhesive on...

Thanks ... that's what I was looking for. I haven't seen these tiles in person yet but I am assuming that the backside is not polished. So if I removed the mesh and adhesive and flipped them over do you think that would work fine? Any issues with the polished side just being in the tank? Also do you think there would be any problems using super glue to attach the polished side to a frag plug should I need to?

OK Cool ... Thanks! :cool:

Basically I have some zoas and encrusting corals that are just covering my poor man's frag rack. I figured this way I could just separate the sections and sell them instead of cutting them off and re-attaching to a plug etc. Perhaps I could even put a small dab of glue on the edges to connect the secions of tile and then just snap them off later on. If I ever try this out I'll be sure to make a thread to let you all know how it works out. :D

loonie8

This is a good idea, I cut pcs from tiles and use them for frags according to size I want. I use the similar round saw use for glass cutting, just using s normal drill. You get the saw cheap on Ebay..

Copperkills

Just reading this thread now, travertine tiles basically calcium carbonate...I’ve been cutting circular frag discs for several years, never any issues. DV used them successfully as plugs and grow out plates for years as well

Monnishan

I used to install tile for a living . Its a "mosaic" tile and just use a grinder with a stone wheel to cut it. Fairly inexpensive.

Boga

Travertine seems to be safe, but I would stay away from stones that are very coloured (even natural), especially if they are greenish or reddish. Who knows what metal oxides they may have.