Marine Pure Vs Bio Balls

heath

Distinguished Member
as most of you know I am almost finished setting up my tank for sea horses.. looking for the best filtration that I can find.. came across Marine Pure, it comes in 8 x8 4 blocks.. Has anyone ever used this product and how did it work in your tank.. Bio balls would had to use in this tank as its an all in one and getting them out to clean would be difficult...
your feed back is appreciated...thanks Heath

Skim

Ya I have and do use them and there are a few YouTube videos on them. In fact I just removed mine to catch my Scooter that decided to run the roller coaster into my sump. Yes they work well, I also use them in my fresh tanks in the Canister filter. They come in Bio Ball type and 8 x 8 x 4 block and 8 x 8 x 1 block. You should also look on Reef Central a lot said on there even a Aluminum concern that I just don't buy into.

Skim

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I have marine pure spheres in my nano for almost a year and I think they are okay. but who knows? I was thinking about putting some in my new setup but How can you really tell how it acts? it may just elevate the detritus in the tank

Nighthawk26

I use the marine pure, but being new in the hobby, I just read lots of places how they can benefit and implemented them into my build so I don't have any anecdotal evidence to comment other than my system has been running great from day 1. The concept in theory and logic shows them to be far better than bioballs, and nothing but a benefit to a system.

heath

Distinguished Member
Have you considered seachem matrix?
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Matrix.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the only thing with that I see with the matrix is that its loose and you have seen the set up/tank. there isn't much room to get my fat arm in there to clean, I was thinking of the 8 x 8x 4 brick just for ease..

thanks everyone for great opinions, I have never used anything like that in my other tanks so this is totally new for me... I do know that sea horses like the water almost perfect...

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Sera Siporax would be your best bet IMO. There has been some independent testing and it has proved that Siporax is the best media for denitrification bacteria. There is a large thread on RC if you want to read it.

I have a large amount coming for sale to the public shortly.

Last edited:

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
This is what has held me back from using marine pure. I have read some of that thread and it's scary stuff. Is This new stuf u r getting any better Dave?

From the independent research I have seen it seems like the best alternative. Siporax performed the best, followed by Sea-chem matrix ( if I remember correctly). The study basically says the porosity of the Siporax is the best size to host the most beneficial bacteria. However, with any of these methods importance needs to be placed on how the media is setup and how it is maintained to remove detritus and to stop unwanted algae growth that reduces its effectiveness.

I have seen a few clever methods for installation of both the Siporax and Seachem. Some involve reactors, but not necessary to get results. As I said above, it just depends on how you want to address the detritus, flow and algae growth issues.

Dave

Steve Peters

P3010462.JPGP3010460.JPG
I run both Marine Pure and Siporax. Been running both and all I can say is my nitrates are non existent and I feed my tank way too much. Just wanted to show how I contain in egg-crate. Really easy to rinse. My skimmer rests on my MP and draws water through the MP and discharges through the siporax..... seems to work well for me.