medication availability? or not? fishzole

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I'm wondering why some medications aren't available any more in our area? Does anyone have any idea where this product can be ordered from? A friend is looking for metranizadole, not for fish, for dogs
sunnykita

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Best place to get it for a dog is a veterinarian because they can prescribe the correct dosage for the size of the dog in a pill form instead of a topical cream.  If a topical is needed to treat a fungal infection of the skin, the vet may still feel it would be beneficial to treat internally as well to completely eradicate the infection.  Metronidazole is an antifungal and is not used to treat any kind of bacterial infection so your friend needs to be sure it is not bacterial in nature.  This could be why it can't be found on shelves anymore and is has been used inappropriately. 

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
sunnykita link said:
I'm wondering why some medications aren't available any more in our area? Does anyone have any idea where this product can be ordered from? A friend is looking for metranizadole, not for fish, for dogs
sunnykita
from what I understand the company APO which I believe is the main supplier of the pill form stopped making it. We do carry metro at the store but its powder form made by hikari.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
yveterinarian link said:
Best place to get it for a dog is a veterinarian because they can prescribe the correct dosage for the size of the dog in a pill form instead of a topical cream.  If a topical is needed to treat a fungal infection of the skin, the vet may still feel it would be beneficial to treat internally as well to completely eradicate the infection.  Metronidazole is an antifungal and is not used to treat any kind of bacterial infection so your friend needs to be sure it is not bacterial in nature.  This could be why it can't be found on shelves anymore and is has been used inappropriately.

Hi Yvette, it's a breeder friend (with over 25 years of experience) who's vet gives her grief when she wants/needs it, if it were me I'd switch vets it's just that simple. I want a vet who will work with me, not against me. It's the pill form she's looking for. Many breeders have a wealth of knowledge gained over years of working with vets. She knows the correct dosage and is only using it in the correct situation. I had heard a couple of years ago that a lot of the meds on the shelf of our aquarium stores were being removed due to people using the products inappropriately.
thanks
Sherry

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=sunnykita link=topic=4899.msg46152#msg46152 date=1364268196]
sunnykita
from what I understand the company APO which I believe is the main supplier of the pill form stopped making it. We do carry metro at the store but its powder form made by hikari.
[/quote]

thanks for that info, it's appreciated, I'll pass it along
Sherry

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
sunnykita link said:
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=4899.msg46162#msg46162 date=1364296672]
sunnykita
[/quote]

Sherry
[/quote]One thing to add.  If she has any friends who are a pharmacist they might still have some that they could sell to her.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=sunnykita link=topic=4899.msg46169#msg46169 date=1364304051]
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=4899.msg46162#msg46162 date=1364296672]
sunnykita
[/quote]

Sherry
[/quote]One thing to add.  If she has any friends who are a pharmacist they might still have some that they could sell to her.
[/quote]
Thanks
I'll ask, she works in a pharmacy, I think she'd have to have a script for it. You can get it with a script, but her vet is the one who is giving her the hassle as in wanting to do stool samples before prescribing. When you've bred for many years there are some issues you know without the test what it is, the added expense only confirms what you already know from many experiences LOL

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Hi Sherry

I agree it is so frustrating when you take the time and effort to gain the knowledge and the Vet works against you.  I would also change vets.  Sorry your friend has such difficulty. 
On the flip side, it is getting harder for health professionals (doctors, Vets, etc) to prescribe antibiotics and antifungals due to all the superbugs that have cropped up.  Antibiotics have been overprescribed so much for so long that we now have many bugs out there that are very hard to treat.  Doctors, etc are trying to be much more responsible and cautious prescribing these meds because soon we will have new superbugs that we can't treat.  One of the hazards of our times, unfortunately. 

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Hi Yvette,
I'm in complete agreement, I understand the superbugs,  this is a typical breeder vet conundrum. On the up side, I've talked to a few other golden breeders and they have given me this site along with a few others.
so there is help out there for those needing or wanting to have something on hand for their aquariums too. They have great expiration dates, have paypal and ship to Canada.
I've signed up for an account and will explore the site more thoroughly.

Fish Antibiotics - Free Shipping on NON-Prescription Fish Antibiotics
www.fishmoxfishflex.com

Status
Not open for further replies.