Mh Light Uv Shield

Wagonpitt

i have an aquaticlife 4xt5 2xmh fixture
Im looking to replace the mh bulbs with pheonix 14k or reeflux12k.

On reefsupplies website it says i need uv shield for the pheonix but reeflux it doesnt say.

Is the uv shield just the piece of glass under the mh lights ? The t5 have acrylic splash guards but the mhs has thick glass.

Also what do you guys recomend the reeflux or pheonix.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Is that a SE or HQI fixture? I'm assuming HQI... Yes, the piece of glass shielding the MH lights that came with the fixture will have the UV protection, if I recall correctly typically all HQIs will require such a UV shield, not so much with mogul or SE bulbs (I could be wrong on that tho so don't take that as fact).

Both the reeflux and phoenix bulbs are nice, crisper, whiter bulbs that are good for growth. I've used both and would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two. Supplementing with actinic/Fiji Purple/Blue + bulbs will def be a nice combo with those bulbs.

Wagonpitt

Thanks for the reply. when i bought the unit used i changed the t5 but this is my first time dealing with the mh so wanted to make sure.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Double ended bulbs require the uv shielding glass, single ended bulbs have the uv shield as the outer part of the bulb