Moorish Idol

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Picked up a beautiful 5" specimen from an established tank.
He has been in captivity for 6 months, and is eating like a pig, fat and healthy.

I have attempted one of these 5 years ago from a LFS, but he didnt make it through QT even tho he was eating.

Ive done extensive reading and habits, tips and care guidelines, but was wondering if anyone on here had more information to share from their own personal experiences?

Anything is appreciated :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
well sh*t, no one has owned one on here? @AdInfinitum i believe you had a couple no?

my goal is to keep him as fat and healthy as possible, constant nori offering min. twice a day and a wide variety of brine shrimp, angel formula (for the sponge content) as well as and rocks with natural sponges i can find from other hobbyist's

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
avoid these fish. Added him, dripped and acclimated for hours. He was happy, active, ate everything offered to him ( nori, angel food with the sponge content, brine shrimp)
Happy and healthy and active for 2 weeks.
Biggest fish in a very peaceful tank
One day swimming, next day dead under a rock, no signs of damage, disease, or anything.

No other fish followed in his footsteps, ( everyone else remained happy and healthy)

it was very disheartening and most definitely killed my passion and desire to continue in the hobby.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Damn.. sorry for your loss .. 1 fish (considered very difficult to keep) is going to push you to quit ?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Damn.. sorry for your loss .. 1 fish (considered very difficult to keep) is going to push you to quit ?
more like the straw that broke the camels back. this was back in march, this is very much a passion driven hobby for me, ive been in and out for 10+ years.

Moh

Yep thats sucks… but thats idols for u… longest ive had one was a few weeks less than a year,, then it just felt like it lived long enough…i guess. I even made a little contraption to get food to it as efficiently as possible and still did not help to get it past a year… i tried once more after and it too died after a few months of being fat and “healthy”