moving a 90 gal tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heath

Distinguished Member
Good morning, Iam moving and need suggestions on moving my tank.
My thoughts were to take at least 60/70 gal of water with me and add new water. How long is a safe period to keep the fish out of the tank, I'm thinking that it would be approx 2 hrs from start to finish. I would appreciate any of your insights and thoughs on doing this. thanks Heath

spyd

Super Active Member
2 hrs would be fine. I would just throw in a heater in the water and an air stone while you setup your tank. How long has your tank been running? If it has been running for a while, I also suggest getting new sand and using that in place of running with your old sand bed. Also, when you are removing your fish, etc. try not to disturb the sand bed too much in case there is any trapped sulphate gas, etc. in there. Better safe than sorry.

heath

Distinguished Member
the tank has been running about 8 mths now, no issues so far. I was going to use heaters in the water,  never thought about the sand bed, thanks... is there a product that I should add to the fish once they are bagged to eaze the stress, they will be travelling in a stryoform container the new house is about 15 mins away.. I've never moved a tank and going crazy trying to figure out how to do it..

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
heath link said:
the tank has been running about 8 mths now, no issues so far. I was going to use heaters in the water,  never thought about the sand bed, thanks... is there a product that I should add to the fish once they are bagged to eaze the stress, they will be travelling in a stryoform container the new house is about 15 mins away.. I've never moved a tank and going crazy trying to figure out how to do it..

I moved a tank just like this, I used a Rubbermaid totes as they are cheap and big, I saved as much water as I could just like your thinking, all the rock in three totes, all the coral in another and all the fish in one, when I got to my place I got the heater going and power head in with the fish and I spent about 6 hours setting everything up and another few hours letting the water clear up after I added the rock and new sand before I added the fish, as long as you keep the water oxygenated and the right temperature your fish will be ok in a tote as long as you need, no need to rush. just make sure u have enough new water all ready to go at the new place so your not waiting around for your rodi to make water.

heath

Distinguished Member
thanks to everyone that responded.. I value all of your knowledge.. thats what I was thinking and I have a friend that said all of my fish and corals would get sick and die..
again, thanks so much
Heath

Status
Not open for further replies.