Mtc hsa 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Ok so before I upgrade my skimmer I was wondering if any of you protein skimmer experts can find any info on my skimmer. This thing skims like crazy. But I wanna see if I can get it even better bi get dark brown skin mate from it, not black like I'd like to see. I have the output under water which I think I've read is bad due to back pressure but I can't see it making a diff. I'm running a mag 9 on it. Maybe a stronger pump? Please help

Z

Zakk

It says it needs a  SEN 700 pump, what are you using on it. 

There's also a chance that your tank is just relatively clean.  Mix up a bunch of sediment and see if the skimmate thickens up.  Mine ran like a sonofabitch when I pulled out a huge chunk of liverock, and hooked up the it looked like black coffee that had been left in the pot for a week.  Now it's back to a thick brown sludge-like consistency.  I'm only not happy when it looks like tea. 

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Running a mag 9. I've read a couple posts claiming a mag 12 is needed to make the Venturi work properly. As Vince said I need a pressure rated pump but external is just more work than I want to commit at the moment. It's working good I just wanna see it brought to the max

B

Blob-79

can you post some pictures of it setup and running. would like to see the configuration

B

Blob-79

found this..worth a read

Aged Salt03-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Nick, mine was on a 250g total vol. reef, which I used various pumps, ie. Sen-700, Sen-900, Mag 18 & finally, a external pump Iwaki-55, with the best results.:) Bob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nyfireman309703-31-2005, 05:03 PM
im not gonna be ale to use an external pump what was the best insump for ya and is it worth it over my TF 1000 i also have a guy talkin about a DAS suposed to be like a deltec ever hear of that ?
Nick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aged Salt03-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi Nick, on the MTC- HSA- 250, the Sen 900 worked the best of the submergibles. This skimmer is more efficient than the Turbo-1000. I'm sorry, but I've never seen a DAS or know anyone who used one. Bob

nyfireman309703-31-2005, 05:37 PM
ok thanx a ton bob how much do one of those pumps go for ?
Nick

Aged Salt03-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Nick, the Sen 900 probably is around $85??? I bought mine years ago from PA:) Bob

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
I've read that one. I think I've scoured the entire www looking for mods or help. Only thing I have left to try is to raise the output above sump level. See of it help with back pressure and allow the mag to pump harder. Might try it today. I wish I could upload pics from phone I'm gonna take pics with wife's cam in a few

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
It's in 8" exactly of water. You can see the gate valve in the skimmer on te bottom. You open or close it to control the water level. Wondering of I add my PVC to the output above sump level if it will increase efficiency.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
So I swapped out my mag 18 return pump with my mag 9 skimmer pump. HOLY HELL what a difference. I've never seen that much bubbles produced in this thing at half valve. Gonna post pics of a clean cup and then tomorrow to see how much it actually skims.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
where are the pictures? haha

Skimmer wasn't really doing much for me as tank has nothing in it, then I decided to dump a cap of purple up in my tank, and holy 2-3min later, I had to turn it off as it was gushing out the foam. I will now being adjusting it to produce a thicker skim.

I really doubt I will ever see it produce what it did in your tank, as it is like a quater of the size.

Status
Not open for further replies.