Mushro Question

nelson

Hello,

I will be removing some rocks out of my system that have aiptasia on them in order to try and clear it out of my system. My plan is to let the rocks dry out. However, a couple of them have nice big mushrooms attached to them. What is the best way to safely remove the mushrooms from the rock and onto say a bigger frag plug. I just want real advise from people that have done it and not from a youtube video. Any advise is appreciated.

Regards,
Nelson

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Alright well first off, save yourself the trouble of trying to pull them mush off and potentially killing them, have you tried joes juice, lemon juice, kalkwasser?, have you tried natural methods?, like file fish, peppermint shrimp, and of course after all of that when/if it doesn't work, turn to Berghia Nudibranches, THEY WORK NO MATTER WHAT!!!, it will save you time,hassle and just a plain pain in the butt, not to mention you will have to cure your rock again if you dry the rocks out, I can say Ive had a problem in my Nano with aptasia in the past and was cured by peppermints, tried that in my big tank, became a hawkfish snack, tried a file fish he's hit and miss most days, now I'm on to Berghia's and the problem is going away, take your time address the problem head on and be patient young grasshopper

....just my 2cents. :)

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Also even if you get rid of them aptasia, there will always be more you can't see on other rocks, TRUST ME... a lot of us have had this problem and a lot have solved it with natural methods

nelson

@Shooter000 I have used the Aiptasia X many times. On my second bottle, but for every 10 I kill 20 replace it. I have a peppermint shrimp but it is the most useless thing I have ever boughten. I rarely see it, it will grace me with its presence every once and a while. I have looked at the Matted Filefish before but I have heard they can nip at corals. I have looked at the berghia nudibranches. I don't know how many I would need for a 120. But I have heard you need to make adjustments as they can get caught in fans and overflows. I don't know if that is true or not.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
1 peppermint in a 120 won't touch an Aiptasia infestation...about 20 would be a better ballpark and they must be true peppermints.

For shrooms slice them off as close to the base as possible and put them in a basket full of rubble hanging in the tank and leave them until they attach to a piece then glue the piece wherever you like.

....but everyone is right for every one you can see there will be 2 you can't...

SamB

Super Active Member
In my experience, most mushrooms are pretty indestructible
I’ve had repeated success by slicing them as close to the foot attached to rock by using a razor blade or box cutter blade
Just a gentle attachment to an open rock and they should attach again