My 210 Gallon Lps Dominated Reef 15 Months Old

thehvacman

Sorry the second pic shows the corners better.
image.jpeg

Tdizz

Beautiful tank! And can't believe that you built this all yourself too.

All around great job!

heath

Distinguished Member
beautiful tank, you did an awesome job on it....one solution to the problem of moving that tank, don't sell the house...

thehvacman

Thanks guys, like everyone else I wanted the biggest system that I could afford, and it turns out you can get alot more if you build it your self. Would neat someday to set a custom reef aquarium company on the side, and really do what you love :) I'll be in this house for at least the next 10 years, after that I will probably want to move to make something bigger :)

thehvacman

If you can work with wood, you can work with acrylic. All of the tools are the same, table saw, router, a block sander, and a few corner clamps. I was worrying about how easily it scratches, and it is real real easy to remove scratches in acrylic.

thehvacman

Thanks, no worries. You can watch 100 people on YouTube build tanks, and build some confidence first. Maybe building the sump first would help biuld your skills before attempting the display tank. Second project always goes smoother.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Not to put a damper on anyone's enthusiasm but...
Most of the materials I'm using in my projects are the remains of other people's DIY tanks that have failed...usually disastrously. Don't be afraid...but don't think you know better and try to cut corners....lol

Once you see to the clarity of acrylic you will be hooked. Regarding the scratches...when you scratch a glass tank (and you will eventually) it's permanent... You need to be more careful with acrylic but when you screw up it is always easily repairable....a tank of a lifetime rather than disposable...

Marz

I should really look at other members tanks in real life to see what it is like :) Lol...my enthusiasm is usually tempered by reality...who knows maybe you will get some extra acrylic.

Still an awesome tank thehvacman! And no "bowing" surprised me with the length of your tank.

thehvacman

Its 1/2" acrylic, I got it from p&a plastics, downtown Hamilton. I paid around $1200.00 for all plastic, applicators, and solvent. The rest is just labour, if you have all the tools :)

thehvacman

20160501_152134.jpg

Just wondering if anyone else has any of these purple Tongan mushrooms. From what I understand the are fairly rare. I bought 2 10 years ago and now I have 7, so I wouldn't call them fast growing. I also haven't really touched them and just let them do their thing. Now that they have multiplied some I not so scared to cut some up for frags. Is there any demand for these or should I just leave them alone. I made up a couple of acrylic boxes to hold mushroom and anenomes frags in my system so they won't blow around and can attach to rubble.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I have or had purple Tonga's...I gave them to a few members when there wasn't much interest at frag swaps...however 'shrooms are the in thing now...not sure if I still have any or not...