My 65 Tank

Jewel

Hello all, this is my newest endevour, it's a 65, Community Tank, will mostly be Lps and a few easier Sps, RBTA, Clowns, probably a Tang, Led, will be upgrading the skimmer, power heads and try to keep it simple, manually dosing, 20 percent water changes, a few fish, try to be patient. And have some fun. I'll post some pics as soon as I get a file hosting program set up.

Jewel

I bought the tank from a fellow in Guelph, the ad said, tank,stand and sump, for 350, it's hard to find a 65 drilled tank and I wanted that size because of my T5 light.

So we went to look at it, well to our surprise it came with Sand, Rock,Power heads, return pump, skimmer, carbon reactor, heater, and even two fish, I was surprised, paid the man and took it home.

I've had some health problems as of late and am using a cane, I need two new knees and hips so carrying anything just won't work but I had to try, right, a 65 used to weigh nothing but that's all changed now, I did get some help, I washed the sand, set up everything, 6 trips back and forth to get RO water, yes it came with a bucket of salt as well and test kits lol

We had everything to start off, the heater was crap so we bought a new one and the lights were with out bulbs so I bought a dual dsuny led set with controller on the board, made a hanger unit, set it up and s bit more Rock, cycled for 6 weeks or so, the pumps are Korallias, they'll be replaced and the skimmer is a CASE 65 that's junk but it's working and will be replaced.

So I bought a couple of Clowns, snails and here we go, I'm very happy with the lights, the return pump is a jebao and a DC pump and is silent, with some mods the skimmer is silent.

I can't believe the prices of everything, I was out of the hobby for 4 years and wow have things gone thru the roof.

Everything but lights have sky rocketed, not Rock but a heater for 90 bucks a yellow Tang for 100, crazy Turbos for 5 bucks, just crazy but it's our hobby and you gotta love it.

Pictures to come very soon, promise, so nice to be back, looking forward to the show in May, nice talking to all my old friends and look forward to meeting so many new ones

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I bought a Brute garbage can and 25 feet of 1/2" clear tubing as well as a small submersible pump.

So I can fill the brute with RO water and salt and then I can pump the water out of my tank into the bathroom and then pump the new water into the tank using the pump and hose.

Prior to this i was using 5 gallon buckets, this new way is much faster and easier on the body.

Jewel

I used to keep a 25 gl tank in my spare room and filter water to it, I had a mag 3 mix it then pump it to the tank when I'd do water changes, I don't have a filter system at the moment so I have to buy the water and fill 5 gl jugs, mix in buckets and pour in the tank. There are some stairs in the process as well.

My girl friend is not impressed, lol

Jewel

I'm really happy with the progress of the tank, we had a bit of Cyano but I bought a Gyre and the added vflow took care of that problem.

I'm not happy with the new skimmer but it'll do for now, I'm gonna have to go a bit bigger with the skimmer. The sump is 35 gl and half of that or more is refugeum, looking for some cheato.

Our options for Live stock up here are very limited, which can be a good thing Lol iim looking for 1 maybe 2 more fish then Coral. Mushrooms, Torch, Acans, Candy Canes, Brains,,etc etc. I love the lights and have a schedule. That is great. Happy Reefing, everyone

Jewel

Here's an update, I got a great deal on a Yellow Tang, Allan's Damsel,yellow tail blue Damsel, Green Chromis and RBTA, I know you're saying not an Anenome. But you know the kids and the Clowns.

Bought a Coral Beauty and a big diamond Goby but of course the Goby jumped, but he did a great job on the sand, I think I'll cover the tank with Egg crate and get some of those fish that do jump.

Yup I got a bigger skimmer the Vertex in 180, now I need a bigger tank right, isn't that how it goes, Lol

I'll get some more pics soon, that Anenome can be 12 inches in diameter and the go right down to nothing, I went to the Frag Fest and I spent everything I had and came back with a beautiful grn and black open brain, gold torch, purple torch, Duncan,some GSP, I know but the GF liked it, I also won a prize, 8 6 ounce bottles of food for my corals, phyto plankton,phyto feast, oyster eggs, brine, pods, etc, I think the value of it was 175.00. worth the 30 bucks in tickets. Take care happy reefing