My naso tang won"t eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heath

Distinguished Member
I have a naso tang that won"t eat, any suggestions would be great. all of my other fish are doing great, I feed a daily diet of brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and 3 to 4 times a week I give them whole uncooked shrimp that I mush up. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks
Heath :( :( :( :(

heath

Distinguished Member
thanks for the information, he is thin, I don't have any do you have any suggestions what I could do until I can get some?

dale

i feed my yellow, sailfin, scopas tangs fresh algae every day....and they like nori too...so i would try that, and make shure your water parameters are in check and no other fish are bothering him and that he has no visible problems with his health (spots sores swelling ) that sort of stuff are the basics to keep an eye open for all the time , if otherwise seems fine .,., try algae/nori  and im guessin if hes a tang he should be eating greens all the time.,.,., but ive never had a naso so you may get a better answer.., thats just a short version...

dale

they sell nori in the grocery store, usually in asian section in sheets the size of a peice of paper,. get one with no other stuff added...

dale

someone in your area should have some they could prob supply you with fresh algae, as it is fairly easy to grow once youve started...

dale

maybe clamp it down with your cleaner magnet near where he hangs out so it doesnt blow around and leave it there, im shure most of your fish will be attracted to it,. if he is stressed or timid it may take him awile..

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
heath link said:
what type of alge do you suggest, I'm still learning.. anyone around Woodstock have fresh alge??? :) :) :)

all of my tangs, (sailfin, yellow, hippo and naso) as well as my foxface and cleaner wrasse eat lettuce on a regular basis. try that... just make sure the lettuce doesnt have pesticides and what not, i get mine from our garden.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i hear your not supposed to feed fish lettuce, and my tangs love eating calupera from my sump, also nori, also green alagae pellets from petsmart

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Brandon link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=3310.msg27813#msg27813 date=1350298044]
i hear your not supposed to feed fish lettuce, and my tangs love eating calupera from my sump, also nori, also green alagae pellets from petsmart

whys that?
[/quote]

Because it has no nutritional value and the cellulose is really hard for fish to digest.

heath

Distinguished Member
I want to thank everyone for their insight and knowledge and help. unfortunately the naso didn't make it.. its great to call on soo many people and the wealth of knowledge that is available.
Thanks
Heath

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Sorry to hear about your loss. Do you have other fish in same tank? Are they all eating well?

heath

Distinguished Member
Thank you and Yes, I have a very large maroon clown, med clarks clown, coral beauty. yellow and sailfin tang. 2 eng gobies and 1 watchman gobie and everyone is doing fine.very peaceful tank.  Iam running a 90 gal tank and all water parameters are fine. I've done more research and found that they can get stressed very easy and shut down. Its the first fish that I have loss and I don"t like it.
Again, thanks for all of your help and knowledge.
Heath

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Zehrs in town stocks Nori at the sushi stand.

He could have been sick....next time ask to see the fish eat at the store and never take a fish home that has any noticeable problems (just as a note).

Status
Not open for further replies.