"Name That Bubbletip"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Okay...not the usual WTF is this thing that crawled off my rock post....

Yes it's Entacmaea quadricolor, a BTA...but has anyone seen this colour variant before and if so (here is the ID Request) What is the "accepted" common name for this variety? I only ask because, when you look on other boards, and someone uses the "wrong" common name people go ballistic and the flame war erupts... Hmmm...The Flame War Eruption BTA...Catchy 8)  If no one, knows we can  move this post into the polls section and have a vote...The right name can move the value from $50 to $50/tentacle.

First pic is under 250watt Phoenix HQI, second under PC atinics.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Yeah, the colors came out pretty "true to life" got the tip on another thread about using a white rock/sand in the tank to set the white balance on the cam.  No tweaking (see the Omega One flake bottle in the background). The disk and base of the tentacles had always been fairly clear until I really worked at getting the NO3, PO4 down and then it turned purple with green streaks.  The only thing that doesn't really show are the bright yellow tips. 

Most of the RBT's I've seen in stores are fairly uniform shades of pink and red not the green streaks or the bright orange speckles, maybe they just haven't coloured up fully in store tanks.

Love to see pics of yours...

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I find BTA's really change colour from tank to tank, lighting flow etc.

Here is mine when it was in the display....it decided to walk and now I have the BTA's in the sump.  They look completely different in the sump...more orange and green.

flametip.JPG

spyd

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
I find BTA's really change colour from tank to tank, lighting flow etc.

Here is mine when it was in the display....it decided to walk and now I have the BTA's in the sump.  They look completely different in the sump...more orange and green.

flametip.JPG

Can't wait for that thing to split!!  ;)

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Awesome pics Darryl...Yours could be a clone of mine or vise-versa.  Everyone else wants you to give them SPS lessons...I want your "in-tank photography course"!!!

You're always up on all the cool names Darryl...so what is it Rose, Blorange, or something with implied SciFi or anomalous toxic waste references?

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!!

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Mine was purchased as a "flame tip".  This one seems to get bought/sold/traded alot in the GTA.  I got mine from ORG and I see them there quite often.

Because BTA's seem to colour change so easily I would be hesitant to name certain BTA's myself.....although Im know some are naturally much nicer than others.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I got the original from a guy who was taking down his system, who said he got it from ORG (for what seemed like crazy large $$ at the time) but I have been out of the retail fish loop for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.