Nano\pico Tank Lighting??

Fox 82

I have a small pico cube aquarium I wanted to keep some basic small corals and inverts in and now im being told by my LFS that without buying a $350 dollar light from them then all my corals will die. So now I'm looking into alternative options and haven't been able to find anything. I have several other larger aquariums that I could switch to but im not about to spend $200+ on a light for $5-10 corals. And I also find it dumb to buy huge 165w leds and then only run them at like 20%, why not just buy a smaller light? But are there any that would have the right spectrum? So I'm wondering if anyone knows of any cheaper lighting options for a pico, nano or shallow reef tank? I'm new with saltwater so Any help would be awesome thanks.

Fox 82

That defiantly seems like the best option. But I don't know where to buy one or what to look for in terms of colour ratios and what I actually need. Like do I need UV leds in it? Do you know any good brands to get Or where to get one? Localy? Thanks

Kman

Super Active Member
250 watt MH... Just kidding as Eric mentioned a Par38 will work. I myself like to plan for the future and go larger then I need currently because I don't want to have to buy a light twice. I know sooner or later that small tank will come down and I will want to go bigger. So I myself in a case like this would get one of the Evergrow LED and dial it back. Plus side if you have another tank and if something were to happen to one of your lights you can easily take down the pico and use the light that was on it. This is how I like to roll.

http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium-supplies/c5813/c231289/p17722567.html

Steve K

I'm in the same boat , although thinking my tank will be larger but still under 20 gallons..
I've been doing a bit of research, before I settled on tank size..Found a few interesting(to me) lights..
For a Pico check out Angelfins, Aqualighter Nano Marine, under $100.00..Love the form of the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue, a beautiful light, with gooseneck and controller under $300.00 but I don't think it has the power to go too deep..Thinking I'll grab a reef breeders Nano Plus..It's a little less than the Kessil, more powerful(I won't grow out of it too fast) and 6 channel controllable via App, out of the box..

Last edited: