Nano Tank/ Hob Size?

Koi Valley

Inactive Since Crash
I would like to start up a 20 Gal Nano tank. I own two HOB filters I could use on this tank and wondered
which will be the most appropriate. One is an Aquaclear 110 which will turn the tank over five times every hour. The other is a Fluvial C4 Power Filter ( 70 gal ) which will turn the tank over 3.5 times per hour.

My question is which will work better or are both of these too strong?

Any help would be appreciated.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Keep in mind that those are fresh water filters and rated as such. Reef tanks are different then fresh water tanks when it comes to filtration and turn over. Most use a modified HOB solely for a small refugium. A quick google search for aquaclear refugium will show a lot of examples. If being used as a filter, you really need to be diligent about cleaning it or the decaying matter that it collects will create nitrates and phosphates as it decays. The advantage of no mechanical filtration is that your snails and other CUC have a chance to dispose of the material before it gets caught in a filter to decay. There are a lot of people here who use them, I personally do not and do not suggest running one as a filter.

Koi Valley

Inactive Since Crash
Any suggestions what to use if I have no space for a sump?
I'll look into the Aquaclear refugium and read up on it.

Thanks for the help

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I personally ran my reef tank off a canister filter up until a year and. A half ago , they will do to job and you can put things inside of them to help the tank worked on my 20 gallon , but looking into a hob skimmer is more important imo , right now I run no sump or filter

Just a really good hob skimmer , and 2 hob reactors one for gfo one for carbon and it’s been running beautifully now

Koi Valley

Inactive Since Crash
Luke, which hob skimmer are you using?
What brands of gfo and carbon? I'd like to read up on these products before I set the whole system up.

Torx, do you know of a small bulb that would work on a hob refugium? I find when i watch U tube videos, many of the products people describe are not available here in Canada.

Koi Valley

Inactive Since Crash
While I'm at it, what size of recirculating pump would be appropriate for a 20 gal tank with SPS? that's assuming I'm running the Aquaclear with media or as a Refugium.

Thanks again

Josh

If you want a a refugium look into a DIY chaeto reactor, I had really good look with mine on my biocube. @shiftline has a video on youtube about them.