Need Some Advice !

Luke.

Distinguished Member
So in 5 days the basement is getting spray foamed , the gentleman on the phone told us that the fumes from the spray foam may cause headaches and runny nose, my tank is upstairs but I really need to know if I should be worried or not ?

I figured for sure unplug the skimmer .

Any other thoughts ? Or has anyone had spray foaming done with a reef tank in the house ?

Janice

We did spray foam in our attic a few years ago, so it was contained. I did not notice any fumes-but I also had window open near the attic.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Not spray foam, but I just epoxy painted in my fish room. I added a hose to my skimmer air intake and ran the hose out of the room with no ill effects.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Did you tank have a lid ?

shamous113

Where do you have your tank set up? We had are basement done before we had our tank set up, I sealed the door to the basement off (duct tape and plastic) and put a fan in one of the basement windows to draw the air out. the furnace and hot water heater needed to be shut off for a cpl of hours well they sprayed . It's the isocyanates (part "A") in the spray foam that can cause the known side effects that you listed.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Where do you have your tank set up? We had are basement done before we had our tank set up, I sealed the door to the basement off (duct tape and plastic) and put a fan in one of the basement windows to draw the air out. the furnace and hot water heater needed to be shut off for a cpl of hours well they sprayed . It's the isocyanates (part "A") in the spray foam that can cause the known side effects that you listed.

It’s on the main floor and 2 doors are between it and the basement , it dose have a lid and maybe I can put a blanket over the tank to be sure .

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I would definitely put a blanket or sheet over the tank and over the sump if it is separate. Make sure the blanket isn't touching anything that could get it wet and possibly transfer the fumes/contaminates into the water.