MissMere

Hello Everyone!

Skip down to the "New Tank Projects" if you want to skip my whole story rant.

I'm back! Last winter I became very excited to start a reef tank and was conducting lots of research and I came across this awesome forum and resource!

On March 12th, I was assaulted while walking my two smaller dogs. I received a fairly significant blow to the head as I turned a corner of bushes in a park. I immediately went "rugby mode" on him and got one solid kick into the side of his legs while screaming expletives. As an elementary school teacher I can tell you I struggle to say the word "shit" out loud, but I gave him everything foul and threatening I could think of. I still had my dogs leashes wrapped in my hands and my bigger of the two dogs was limping a bit, still not sure if I kicked him by accident or he slipped during the incident.

I was not seriously injured, with the exception of a rather severe concussion, and to add onto things, this was my 4th concussion, and 2nd serious one in less then 3 years. I ended up being hospitalized for 3 days, was going to be an overnight observation, but turned into a longer stay because I had an allergic reaction to the pain medication - wonderful.

This concussion has been a real struggle on many levels. I was unable to work for the rest of March and into April.

Here out the other side, things finally feel on the up and up. During this time my freshwater tanks became very neglected, and it wasn't until about 2 weeks ago I decided to actually get back into the hobby that I love. Lots of good things are coming my way and I've made many changes beyond just my physical recovery. Change is good and starting something a-new is even better. I'm soon moving into my own place with my boyfriend and we've spent the whole summer renovating - I even snuck in a few fish tank friendly features.

My fishtanks have always brought be so much joy and accomplishment. You never know what might happen to you and in a flash everything you now know as normal could be flipped. I've pulled up my socks and I'm getting back into something I truly love and that makes me so so happy.

Sorry for the rant/story, I don't really do social media anymore, but this feels like a good place to air that all out especially since I've never felt this excited to get back into fishkeeping/aquascaping/reefkeeping and the community on here is so positive and encouraging.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
NEW TANK PROJECTS
/////////////////////////////////////////

10g Pico (All in one)

- Modified AquaOne 10g Tank (about 9g of reef space and maybe 2 gallons of sump at the back)
- Built in baffles and all-in-one sump at the back

- *Just bought a NanoBox Mini Plus in custom colours!
- Vortech MP10wQD (set nice and low)
- AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro worth the little extra $$ to help simplify the whole nano/pico maintenance
- Heater is an AquaTop Nano Digital with LED 50w, I also have two additional thermometers
- I got a free
Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget Spin Stream, not sure if I'm going to use it yet

Other basics
- Refractometer
- Extra Hydrometer
- Test Kit
- HOB AquaClear

TBD Equipment

- ATO Container (DIY for now)

- Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget Ghost Protein Skimmer in Desktop Size (DIY in the works?)
or
- Mame Design Skimmer III from Saltwater Conversion
*Although a skimmer may not be necessary, I plan to eventually do some vodka dosing, so I may have to consider some skimming eventually.

- Dosing Pump and Dosing Containers (DIY/Manual for now)
-
Söchting Oxydator Mini

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Welcome back to the fragtank. Sorry to here about your troubles. Glad your ok and back. We are very much like family here no need to apologize. Hope to see more pics as you progress. I'm sure you where told before ... don't he afraid to ask questions. Good luck :)

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Welcome back to the fragtank. Sorry to here about your troubles. Glad your ok and back. We are very much like family here no need to apologize. Hope to see more pics as you progress. I'm sure you where told before ... don't he afraid to ask questions. Good luck :)

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Welcome back, so sorry to hear of your assault and I hope the beating you gave him was worse! Did he get caught and charged? 4 concussions is definitely serious and you should maybe consider wearing some protective head gear for a bit. (the nurse in me speaking)

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your new build and the progression as the tank matures.

MissMere

Welcome back, so sorry to hear of your assault and I hope the beating you gave him was worse! Did he get caught and charged? 4 concussions is definitely serious and you should maybe consider wearing some protective head gear for a bit. (the nurse in me speaking)

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your new build and the progression as the tank matures.

I contacted the police with my parents right when I got home. He was not caught - however the police "have reason to suspect" (but not make charges) there is an individual in the Guelph area committing a string of assaults, all very similar in nature. Assaults on women walking in parks in the early evening or early morning. Not the most reassuring information.

MissMere

Thanks for all the kind words. I randomly found some CaribSea Life Rock and bought 10lbs for my aquascape. It's an interesting product and I'm excited to see what it's like, it's an odd combination of dry rock and "paint on" dormant microbes and good bacteria. It already has the purple look of good live rock.

Here is an example (my iPhone camera has stopped taking focused pictures - so just web examples for now)
life-rock-caribsea-3.jpg

For those curious about my All-in-one tank - Its an AquaOne Betta Trio - I'll remove the dividers and make some cool mods.
4ea2a8_914b6747d138482f9dbf5460850e895a.jpg

I just found a post on nano-reef.com of someone who did what I'm going to do! Always awesome to find at least one experiment before your own!
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/374148-modded-aqua-one-trio-85-gallon/

Canadianeh

Can you please share where I can buy Nanobox Duo plus M here in Canada? Thanks

Hello Everyone!

Skip down to the "New Tank Projects" if you want to skip my whole story rant.

I'm back! Last winter I became very excited to start a reef tank and was conducting lots of research and I came across this awesome forum and resource!

On March 12th, I was assaulted while walking my two smaller dogs. I received a fairly significant blow to the head as I turned a corner of bushes in a park. I immediately went "rugby mode" on him and got one solid kick into the side of his legs while screaming expletives. As an elementary school teacher I can tell you I struggle to say the word "shit" out loud, but I gave him everything foul and threatening I could think of. I still had my dogs leashes wrapped in my hands and my bigger of the two dogs was limping a bit, still not sure if I kicked him by accident or he slipped during the incident.

I was not seriously injured, with the exception of a rather severe concussion, and to add onto things, this was my 4th concussion, and 2nd serious one in less then 3 years. I ended up being hospitalized for 3 days, was going to be an overnight observation, but turned into a longer stay because I had an allergic reaction to the pain medication - wonderful.

This concussion has been a real struggle on many levels. I was unable to work for the rest of March and into April.

Here out the other side, things finally feel on the up and up. During this time my freshwater tanks became very neglected, and it wasn't until about 2 weeks ago I decided to actually get back into the hobby that I love. Lots of good things are coming my way and I've made many changes beyond just my physical recovery. Change is good and starting something a-new is even better. I'm soon moving into my own place with my boyfriend and we've spent the whole summer renovating - I even snuck in a few fish tank friendly features.

My fishtanks have always brought be so much joy and accomplishment. You never know what might happen to you and in a flash everything you now know as normal could be flipped. I've pulled up my socks and I'm getting back into something I truly love and that makes me so so happy.

Sorry for the rant/story, I don't really do social media anymore, but this feels like a good place to air that all out especially since I've never felt this excited to get back into fishkeeping/aquascaping/reefkeeping and the community on here is so positive and encouraging.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
NEW TANK PROJECTS
/////////////////////////////////////////

10g Pico (All in one)

- Modified AquaOne 10g Tank (about 9g of reef space and maybe 2 gallons of sump at the back)
- Built in baffles and all-in-one sump at the back

- *Just bought a NanoBox Mini Plus in custom colours!
- Vortech MP10wQD (set nice and low)
- AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro worth the little extra $$ to help simplify the whole nano/pico maintenance
- Heater is an AquaTop Nano Digital with LED 50w, I also have two additional thermometers
- I got a free
Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget Spin Stream, not sure if I'm going to use it yet

Other basics
- Refractometer
- Extra Hydrometer
- Test Kit
- HOB AquaClear

TBD Equipment

- ATO Container (DIY for now)

- Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget Ghost Protein Skimmer in Desktop Size (DIY in the works?)
or
- Mame Design Skimmer III from Saltwater Conversion
*Although a skimmer may not be necessary, I plan to eventually do some vodka dosing, so I may have to consider some skimming eventually.

- Dosing Pump and Dosing Containers (DIY/Manual for now)
-
Söchting Oxydator Mini

Albz

Wow your story .. I hope they catch that moron!!!

Lets see some pictures of your tank!!

MissMere

The tank is up! (FINALLY) I started it on January 22nd. I'm still waiting to finish my stand so it's on a make-shift table. Levels have been great so far, very stable, my nano ATO makes all the difference I think. I added a little clean-up crew, 3 Margarita snails, 2 Mexican hermits and 2 Bumblebee snails on Febuary 11th, along with some chaeto. Levels remain awesome. I had some brown diatoms start to settle last week, the new crew has been dealing with it very well.

DSC_4407.jpg

SamB

Super Active Member
Horrible story - life changing
Hard to read about and I'm sure difficult to live through
I send you much blessings for healing
By all means, please reach out to me if I can deliver anything or assist you in any way
SamB

MissMere

Horrible story - life changing
Hard to read about and I'm sure difficult to live through
I send you much blessings for healing
By all means, please reach out to me if I can deliver anything or assist you in any way
SamB

Thanks Sam that is very kind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamB

Super Active Member
Yes I agree with Eric, a very slick set up!
Nice water movement in the display side too which is vital !
Thanks for sharing !