New Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxmurrxx

What to you guys do when buying a new fish?
I read that some give freshwater dips right away, some place in QT for several weeks before placing in DT
Or not worry if your buying from a dealer you trust?
(Note my DT is empty with no other fish)

After loosing my clowns to disease I plan on that not happening again, want to do it right next time.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
I dont plan on buying anymore fish, till I get a bigger tank anyways. I consider myself very lucky. I bought all my fish from people I trust, however regardless on if you can trust the dealer or not your taking a chance by not qt'ing them. The stress just from transporting them can cause something.  Mind you Ive never quarenteened any of my livestock, and havent had any issues. Now that I have ALOT of money invested, I wont be adding anything without a qt period.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Myself i would quarantine for a week to 10 days no matter where you get the fish from,
as blob stated, even transporting the fish can cause unknown stress and might not rear it's ugly head for a couple of days.a small tank with simple filtration will do marvelous for a quarantine tanks,that just my opinion though,i have seen others just acclimate them and put in a main tank,hell of a risk i think.

F

fishit

well in my experience i make sure they have no signs of stress at the store ich ....... vary shy fish probably not the best bet look for active fish that means there probably OK. then get a cleaner rass if you can keep one it might take a few tries but cleaner shrimp are nothing in comparison. then i just 15 min temperature acclimate in my experience i have not lost a single fish this way and have had and sold many i think this coses less stress on the fish than dipping them or quarantining or a long drawn out acclimation period.
when i first started out i tried everything else and killed everything so just saying this works for me  o ps don't dump the stores water in your tank

Status
Not open for further replies.