averhoog

just wanting to say hi, I am a long time fw tank lover and now going into sw bought a used setup with fish and corals 135 gallon tank with skimmer 40 gallon sump and 20 gallon refuge moving it on Saturday. got all the supplies I think in need and am hoping for a stress free move. have done a lot of reading on the forum in the last few weeks and looks pretty informative. thanks and am hoping to learn a lot more from this site

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
:welcome:  Alot of helpfull people on this forum. When moving the setup make sure youu have no time restraints to make surr the move is less stressfull, and also make up some fresh saltwater to replace some. :) Enjoy your stay

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
reeferkeeper420 link said:
:welcome:  Alot of helpfull people on this forum. When moving the setup make sure youu have no time restraints to make surr the move is less stressfull, and also make up some fresh saltwater to replace some. :) Enjoy your stay
^Great advice.  Do not rush!

Welcome to TFT.  Lots of great info and members here.  Just post up questions as you need. 

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
No matter how smooth the move goes the tank is going to cycle so expect some diatoms, cyano and maybe a bit of algae, should pass in a week or so though.
Good Luck and welcome.

averhoog

Yeah thanks was expecting stuff to be upset for a while hope ingot bring as much of the old water and I got 40 gallons of new water ready to go in case

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Itll be good to replace water because ur going to stir up all the sand and release alot of crap into the water, if it were me  id reuse the whole 40gal, not.gonna hurt only help..

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Yes, please be ready for some losses. Some people advertise how established their system is as a selling point. That does not matter. Get as many fish and water out before stirring up the sand bed as possible, then get as much rock out without removing the rock that is actually touching the sand bed. Please do not use the existing sand as it contains loads of chemicals that could cause a catastrophic effect on the tank.  Those are my suggestions, hopefully the transfer goes well. Most people, even people who have moved a few tanks, still have losses, please do not get discouraged.

Welcome to TFT. Hope you enjoy the forum and laid back approach.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Torx link said:
Yes, please be ready for some losses. Some people advertise how established their system is as a selling point. That does not matter. Get as many fish and water out before stirring up the sand bed as possible, then get as much rock out without removing the rock that is actually touching the sand bed. Please do not use the existing sand as it contains loads of chemicals that could cause a catastrophic effect on the tank.  Those are my suggestions, hopefully the transfer goes well. Most people, even people who have moved a few tanks, still have losses, please do not get discouraged.

Welcome to TFT. Hope you enjoy the forum and laid back approach.

+1 to everything here.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Glad to hear the move went well.

If I were you. I'd test the water daily for the next week or so just in case the tank goes through a small cycle because of the move.

Just get some new saltwater made up and drop an air stone and a heater in it. Just in case you need to do an emergency water change. Which you might.

Post some pictures when you can.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
EricTMah link said:
Glad to hear the move went well.

If I were you. I'd test the water daily for the next week or so just in case the tank goes through a small cycle because of the move.

Just get some new saltwater made up and drop an air stone and a heater in it. Just in case you need to do an emergency water change. Which you might.

Post some pictures when you can.

+1

Great to hear the move went well. I would follow up with some larger water changes in case there is something going on that you are not aware of or would affect the corals in a few days.

We always love to see new pictures, it also really helps if we know what your tank looks like when offering suggestions.

Jewel

Welcome, Glad the move went well, hell of a way to start. I hate moving tanks, It's easily done but the best way is to start from a fresh tank,

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Jewel link said:
Welcome, Glad the move went well, hell of a way to start. I hate moving tanks, It's easily done but the best way is to start from a fresh tank,

Not nessesarily the best , but def the most convenient :)

Tank looks great, welcome to the hobby/ forum